Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Britian knows how to put bigot Christians in their place
Britian knows how to put bigot Christians in their place
Quote:A CHRISTIAN couple who refused to let two gay men share a bed at their bed and breakfast guest house yesterday lost an appeal against paying them thousands of pounds damages.

Peter and Hazelmary Bull had denied sexual discrimination, saying their ban on the men was “religiously informed” because they believed sex outside marriage was a sin.

They were ordered to pay the men £3,600 damages for sex discrimination after refusing Steven Preddy and Martyn Hall a double room at their guest house in Marazion, ­Cornwall.

Yesterday Mike Judge of the Christian Institute said the Supreme Court ruling by five judges “shows that the powers of political correctness have reached all the way to the top of the judicial tree”. Mr Bull, 74, and his wife, 69, said they were “deeply disappointed and saddened”.

Mrs Bull said: “These beliefs are not based on hostility to anyone. Our policy is based on our sincere beliefs about marriage. Britain ought to be a country of freedom and tolerance but it seems religious beliefs must play second fiddle to the new orthodoxy of political correctness.

“The judges have side-stepped that big issue and reinforced the notion that gay rights must trump everything else.”
She added: “We ask Parliament to take a serious look at how Christians with traditional beliefs are being left out in the cold.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/445530/...er-B-B-ban

Just more dumb theists trying to hide their bigotry behind their silly religious convictions.

I doubt the gay men would have won the case in America.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Britian knows how to put bigot Christians in their place
Quote:Mrs Bull said: “These beliefs are not based on hostility to anyone.

Lying cunt.
I mean... I'm torn on this. On the one hand, discrimination/bigotry are wrong and horrible and crimes against humanity, but on the other, people should be free to run their businesses as they see fit. I don't understand why a gay couple would want to extend their business to a couple of cowardly bigots anyway.
(November 29, 2013 at 10:51 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I mean... I'm torn on this. On the one hand, discrimination/bigotry are wrong and horrible and crimes against humanity, but on the other, people should be free to run their businesses as they see fit. I don't understand why a gay couple would want to extend their business to a couple of cowardly bigots anyway.

Let's put it this way. Would you be as torn on it if they had banned an interracial couple instead of a gay couple? If you wouldn't be, well, there's your answer. If you would be, then carry on.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Hey, if you want to lose business by denying people, I say go ahead. I'm sure they can spend their money elsewhere, and other businesses will be happy to take them. If this was a widespread issue, though, I would agree that something needed to be done.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Businesses typically can refuse service to anyone...but when they openly acknowledge it's because of religion, race, handicap status? Well, that's just criminal. And I imagine if the roles were reversed and two gay proprietors of a B&B refused the old christian couple service because of their religion, well, what do you think the outcry would be?
(November 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(November 29, 2013 at 10:51 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I mean... I'm torn on this. On the one hand, discrimination/bigotry are wrong and horrible and crimes against humanity, but on the other, people should be free to run their businesses as they see fit. I don't understand why a gay couple would want to extend their business to a couple of cowardly bigots anyway.

Let's put it this way. Would you be as torn on it if they had banned an interracial couple instead of a gay couple? If you wouldn't be, well, there's your answer. If you would be, then carry on.

Yeah. Still torn. I don't agree with bigotry, but I don't feel private businesses should be told how to run their businesses. And like Chad said, if people want to lose business, that's their... business. Also, I don't know why an interracial couple would want to stay at a B&B where they're not welcome, either.

Edit: grammar.
I'm torn on it too. I'm generally quite an out-spoken supporter of gay rights. I also think that you should be able to run your business how you want (within reason, obviously), hire who you want and serve who you want.

The things is, it's been a long fight to get things where they are, if you allow one business to discriminate then more will follow and it probably won't be long before we find we've taken a huge step backwards.

I strongly support the freedom of belief. On the other hand, I don't think you can condemn someone for acting on their beliefs without condemning the beliefs themselves. But don't we also look down on those who lack the conscience of their convictions?

This is why I'm torn.

P.s. Damn it. Now I have Natalie Imbruglia stuck in my head
Dammit. Now I do, too.
Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This video will put a smile on your face. ignoramus 3 404 September 15, 2017 at 8:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  This took me back to a special place. ignoramus 1 478 January 5, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Fireball
  this will be making more money than hawking their dubious . . . vorlon13 0 404 December 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What do atheists tell their children downbeatplumb 17 3253 February 3, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: No_God
  rabbis warn fox news and glenn beck about their misuse of the holocaust downbeatplumb 18 7202 January 28, 2011 at 9:29 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows g-mark 0 1996 June 24, 2009 at 8:11 am
Last Post: g-mark