Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do atheists tell their children
What do atheists tell their children
I have chosen to put this article from the Huffington post here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/james-co..._hp_ref=uk

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: What do atheists tell their children
That's rather nice.

Some of us choose never to grow up...
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
I LOLed:

Quote:"Okay, I think it's time to say goodbye to Titman now"
We take Titman up the garden and delicately lower the corpse into the bin. We both stand over it for a moment of solemn reflection. My son looks sad so I squeeze his shoulder.
"He's in a better place now son" I say
"What, the bin?"
"No, not the bin," I say "bird heaven"

Anyhow, tough call. Will I tell my children that they and I and mummy are going to heaven when we die. No I won't, sorry, they'll have to deal with it. I won't plant this seed of delusion, it is too important to learn a healthy relationship to life early on, and too dangerous to go down that road with young impressionable children. If you give them the heaven copout that early in life, how are they supposed to learn how to truly cope with loss and grief?
I'll surely tell them that some people think that it is so, and that I am pretty sure that it is not so.
Animals and Pets are an entirely different story, of course they go to bird/hamster/guinea pig/rabbit heaven.

One more thing. I would never tell my children that birds are stupid. What folly!
hmm ... Don't you think believing in heaven can't be equated to believing in Santa? It's telling someone they would live forever, not that they would get gifts once a year if they're nice.

Anyway, don't have children so I'm not really qualified to say what he should or should not do.

If you tell them heaven is real, what do you say when they ask you about hell? Isn't it better to tell them that you get recycled when you die and you will live on forever in that sense?
(February 3, 2014 at 12:17 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: If you tell them heaven is real, what do you say when they ask you about hell? Isn't it better to tell them that you get recycled when you die and you will live on forever in that sense?

And you snuck in a valuable lesson about resource management and separating your garbage as well! That's efficient parenting
ROFLOL

But seriously, yes absolutely. One can find more positive aspects. I will tell them that when you die, you live on in the people you have met. They all form an image of you in them that will stay with them and will influence them for having known you. It even goes so far that they will have conversations with you in their head after you are gone.
I'd tell them that their loved one is gone, but they can always remember the good times, and try to live a good life like their loved one would want them to.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I think the best thing to tell them is never to be alone in a room with a catholic priest.
Oh I meant recycled as in your atoms go into other things: the air, earth, even other lifeforms. And when our sun dies, our atoms potentially gets incorporated into new stars and new planets. But yea in this sense, the people you love are literally all around you after they die. You may have to wait a while for them to decompose, faster if you go for other methods.

But yea garbage recycling is important, too.
(February 3, 2014 at 12:25 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Oh I meant recycled as in your atoms go into other things: the air, earth, even other lifeforms. And when our sun dies, our atoms potentially gets incorporated into new stars and new planets.

That should score some serious poetry points with the wee ones, seriously. It's a really cool thought. And it has the bonus to be true.
I plan on telling my kids that some people believe we go on to heaven after we die, but their father does not.

That way I'm not being too blunt but am also not encouraging them to believe in fairy tales.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please Tell Me This Isn't True Minimalist 60 3407 December 11, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  this will be making more money than hawking their dubious . . . vorlon13 0 406 December 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  children of the 2000's Marsellus Wallace 27 3233 October 13, 2015 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Children Of The 2060s BrianSoddingBoru4 14 3613 July 6, 2015 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Joko
  Children of the 1950's - It's time for your nap Whateverist 25 3904 June 19, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Children of the 1970's Secular Elf 47 11517 June 15, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  A song I played. Please tell me your opinion. WinterHold 0 818 October 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Britian knows how to put bigot Christians in their place Foxaèr 46 6483 November 30, 2013 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Quotes: Ayatollah Khomeini on sex with children northumbrian66 41 37833 September 24, 2013 at 6:30 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Criticism of study showing negative outcomes for children of gay parents Tempus 0 1413 June 15, 2012 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Tempus