Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pronoun Capitalization
Pronoun Capitalization
Christians: why do you capitalize pronouns and other types of words when referring to your god?

I ask, because it feels like I'm hearing a sermon when I read writing stylized that way.
RE: Pronoun Capitalization
I find it interesting that they use personal pronouns for their gods at all. It just seems ridiculous to talk about supreme creators and ultimate fundamental powers in terms of "he" and "him". I always use "it" myself; if nothing else I hope it rattles a few cages.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 11, 2013 at 9:47 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I find it interesting that they use personal pronouns for their gods at all. It just seems ridiculous to talk about supreme creators and ultimate fundamental powers in terms of "he" and "him". I always use "it" myself; if nothing else I hope it rattles a few cages.

You should capitalize the "i" every time you write "It". Makes scripture seem like a Stephen King novel.
The word holy literally means set apart. Capitalization serves to divide the sacred from the mundane. It is also a sign of respect.
(December 11, 2013 at 9:50 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: You should capitalize the "i" every time you write "It". Makes scripture seem like a Stephen King novel.

What a good idea (apart from the Stephen King bit; not my favourite writer). Still, it would evoke the image of Tim Curry in his clown outfit as God - and explains so much.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
The worst one to me is... Truth.

Truth is just a noun. Quit capitalizing it and just use the word Jesus, since that's what you really mean.
(December 11, 2013 at 9:52 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The word holy literally means set apart. Capitalization serves to divide the sacred from the mundane. It is also a sign of respect.

Is it the same in translations?
This is why I rather refer to their god as "the god" instead of "god" or "God". It's one of many. For example: I was told that the god does not like my evil ways. Well, I say fuck it. Oops. I mean... fuck It.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
... or, Fuck It? I mean, I have respect for Fuck, so...
It doesn't really make much sense. Especially since God actually has other names and titles he goes by.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin