Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A life without imaginary friends.
A life without imaginary friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcIrvS-e8hA
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: A life without imaginary friends.
Theism isn't a religion either. What a burk. You lay off so much on 'imaginary friend' that you substitute with common sense, reason, morals ...just like theists do only they sometimes refer to their faith where atheists/ secular humanists refer to history/ past wisdom. What's the difference? Both are susceptible to error. Both are capable of producing healthy adults. Why whinge about it?
Cool, that's the second YouTube video I've seen use my "motivational poster".

[Image: atheist-motivation.jpg]
Lol, I like it Adrian Smile Instead of prayer: make prank calls to random Americans? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I agree with Darrel Ray 100% except I prefer the term the imaginary guy in the sky. But if we were to look up religion in the dictionary according to Merriam Webster it means the following.

(1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance.

In my view what differentiates an atheist from a theist regarding religion is that atheist are not bound by any dogma or adhere to any doctrines. We as atheists are as diverse in thoughts and principles as stars in the sky. We are free to think what we please and are not called heretical, blasphemous etc. Unlike theists who are bound by doctrines and dogmas and institutional interpretations of whatever church they choose to become a member of. Basing myself on the definition above in this aspect atheism is not nor never has been a religion. Simply put "I don't believe in god or gods of any kind" that is the only thing that atheists have in common. Where I go from there is my business and no one else cares.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(November 18, 2009 at 5:47 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Theism isn't a religion either. What a burk. You lay off so much on 'imaginary friend' that you substitute with common sense, reason, morals ...just like theists do only they sometimes refer to their faith where atheists/ secular humanists refer to history/ past wisdom. What's the difference? Both are susceptible to error. Both are capable of producing healthy adults. Why whinge about it?

Because we don't believe in a magical man in the sky that suddenly decides one day to create a flawed human race where this magical man in the sky is supposed to be perfect and still screwed up.
Not to mention we don't have a book to follow, and we don't have that many contradictions and fallacies. 8D Also... Our Earth? 6,000 years old or whatever?? Really???
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
Decided? Flawed? Magical? Sky? Perfect? Screwed up? Contradictions? Fallacies? Our earth? 6,000yrs old?

Oh Rly?!
Lmao reeeaaalllly??

Yeah... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?!?!?!?
Actually, a life with an imaginary friend could have its benefits. You can talk to him without any rude interruptions on his part. You can tell him anything you want since he wont tell anyone your most intimate secrets, you can talk to him in public and people wont think you are schizophrenic since they all know who you are talking to, you could sing to him and he wont tell you how much your voice sucks. Yeah, I think an imaginary friend can do some good after all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Friends- British accent WinterHold 36 3784 December 1, 2019 at 9:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris Edwardo Piet 185 14434 November 5, 2016 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dear Aussie Friends, Minimalist 5 1015 June 3, 2014 at 11:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Universe Without Design Xerxes 0 1187 May 4, 2012 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Xerxes
  Doing Good...Without God Forsaken 0 740 April 10, 2012 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Forsaken
Rainbow Doctors without borders charity event and auction. leo-rcc 2 1995 September 13, 2010 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Would the world be better of without religion? Darwinian 9 2089 December 22, 2009 at 10:44 am
  Stephen Fry on a world without God. Edwardo Piet 0 1989 November 7, 2008 at 2:55 pm