Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feels good to be free...
Feels good to be free...
And that's how I felt the day I realized the Bible didn't make a lick of sense to me about 10 years ago. Attempted to study theology to try and understand what the heck I was missing, but it only confirmed my fears: I was living in the matrix! Smile

I was raised in the Episcopal Church, still love the old church and the people who attended, but what they consider "truth" is illogical to me (and pretty crappy if you're a woman).

Love the idea of Jesus. If he did exist, he was one heck of an awesome guy! Love that he stood up for the poor and women's rights. The original hippie???? Still, just because the guy was awesome, doesn't mean he was something more than human... even if he wanted to be!

Religions have been coming and going for ages. I'm surprised at how invested we get in them. I doubt they will ever die, though. I've seen the studies that most folks are wired for religion, and I've even had a family member (non-religious) who had to go on some meds years ago that made her think she was some sort of God-fearing mystic savior. She got off the meds, but still remembers to this day how a little change in chemistry changed her into a religious fanatic for a few weeks.

My thoughts: we have no proof that a creator(s) exists or does not exist. We do know that we're living on a tiny speck of a planet in a huge universe which could be part of something even bigger. Did something randomly happen a gazillion years ago that eventually caused our creation? Or is our universe in a petri dish being poked and prodded by an intelligent force? How in the world could any human know this answer?

Er yeah, so... hello.
RE: Feels good to be free...
Hi, there.
Hello Amelia (beautiful name!) and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(December 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm)Amelia Wrote: Love the idea of Jesus. If he did exist, he was one heck of an awesome guy! Love that he stood up for the poor and women's rights. The original hippie????
He was a nice guy because he figured he'd get a second shot at it, and the next time around he'd be the guy with the flaming sword coming out of his mouth and demanding that people be brought before him and put to death. Let's just be glad that he stayed dead.

Welcome to the forums.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Hi Amelia! Always good to see a new face among our number!

I'd be tempted to take issue with the assessment of Jesus as such a good guy, seeing as his career as related in the gospels (the only source for what we know of the character, by the way) was such a damp squib at best and the guy himself was an arsehole by modern standards at worst. Still, that's something for another time. For now, welcome, pull up a theist and help yourself to a cup of blood.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome, Amelia. Enjoy the forum!
Welcome Amelia, Enjoy the forums.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome aboard!
Welcome Big Grin
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I the only one who feels this way seylee 132 14626 May 15, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  free of religion, free of lies (maybe) dragonfly19981 12 2064 December 3, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Good morning, and in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening, and good night! Kirbmarc 16 5500 October 29, 2012 at 4:05 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
Heart Feels like home already. DarthAshleigh 7 2687 January 12, 2012 at 10:17 am
Last Post: znk666