Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History and the use of religion by political powers
History and the use of religion by political powers
.... for profit

Just sat through about 4 hours of history and found it fascinating, that political powers are so weak that they HAVE to call on the divine to assert their authority. So what else is new? Dunno

Any way, thought I would park these little titbits here for viewing, pity things like this were NOT taught in History classes

http://youtu.be/Jq9FyI6D-xo

http://youtu.be/IsX7i5BCHso

Currently looking at the foundation of Finland and it's history...should be good Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: History and the use of religion by political powers
Coming from the academic side, we don't blame religion for war since it's just an excuse. Religion and ethnic differences are merely facades used by the ruling elite to get what they want.

Our view is this: "that side has power and wealth that we want, but we can't use that as the reason for losing so many of our men and women, so we'll just make up a difference and fool them into thinking it's for some glorious reason."

"War is a quarrel between two thieves too cowardly to fight their own battle..."
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Quote:“Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich.”

― Peter Ustinov
The Khans of old also had "kut" the divine mandate of the Sky God.
Is it a bad thing? No, it somehow aided our expansion, as we Turks(and the Mongyul) believed we were on a "divine mission from God" to unite the world under a single Sky ever since our pre-muslim times.
With the coming of Islam, and the idea of shehadet, we have been ever more so motivated for conquest. And we have arcieved more than what we expected, establishing Dynasties throughout the Eurasian continent, spanning back to India, and previously, China aswell.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(December 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm)Polaris Wrote: Coming from the academic side, we don't blame religion for war since it's just an excuse. Religion and ethnic differences are merely facades used by the ruling elite to get what they want.

Our view is this: "that side has power and wealth that we want, but we can't use that as the reason for losing so many of our men and women, so we'll just make up a difference and fool them into thinking it's for some glorious reason."

"War is a quarrel between two thieves too cowardly to fight their own battle..."

Who is this 'we'?
(December 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm)Polaris Wrote: Coming from the academic side, we don't blame religion for war since it's just an excuse. Religion and ethnic differences are merely facades used by the ruling elite to get what they want.

Very true, but religion sure is a convenient way for the leaders to get the people to support their war. I mean, all the king has to say is "No, I'm not the one asking you to sacrifice your lives to take that patch of land; God is the one telling you to do it. And you don't want to question God, do you?" Kinda makes it hard to ask questions, doesn't it?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Quote: "Although, O sons of God, you have promised more firmly than ever to keep the peace among yourselves and to preserve the rights of the church, there remains still an important work for you to do. Freshly quickened by the divine correction, you must apply the strength of your righteousness to another matter which concerns you as well as God. For your brethren who live in the east are in urgent need of your help, and you must hasten to give them the aid which has often been promised them. For, as the most of you have heard, the Turks and Arabs have attacked them and have conquered the territory of Romania [the Greek empire] as far west as the shore of the Mediterranean and the Hellespont, which is called the Arm of St. George. They have occupied more and more of the lands of those Christians, and have overcome them in seven battles. They have killed and captured many, and have destroyed the churches and devastated the empire. If you permit them to continue thus for awhile with impurity, the faithful of God will be much more widely attacked by them. On this account I, or rather the Lord, beseech you as Christ's heralds to publish this everywhere and to persuade all people of whatever rank, foot-soldiers and knights, poor and rich, to carry aid promptly to those Christians and to destroy that vile race from the lands of our friends. I say this to those who are present, it meant also for those who are absent. Moreover, Christ commands it.

"All who die by the way, whether by land or by sea, or in battle against the pagans, shall have immediate remission of sins. This I grant them through the power of God with which I am invested. O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ! With what reproaches will the Lord overwhelm us if you do not aid those who, with us, profess the Christian religion! Let those who have been accustomed unjustly to wage private warfare against the faithful now go against the infidels and end with victory this war which should have been begun long ago.

Urban II at Cleremont calling for the Crusades, as quoted by Fulcher of Chartres
(December 28, 2013 at 8:41 am)là bạn điên Wrote:

Who is this 'we'?

Political scientists. It's one of the first things we learned years ago.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I haven't seen the video yet!

But I toootally agree that religion is used by politicians !!!!!

I will reply again after I watch it Smile
If religion does not cause war then why does islam have such bloody borders
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 825 58456 April 16, 2024 at 9:06 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Political Zoo Foxaèr 7 810 December 10, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 2908 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 846 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  6 of 7 great seven is use Latin ABC Interaktive 26 2057 April 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3036 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2354 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 1939 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  That Political Scene Foxaèr 4 669 September 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6849 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah