Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:34 pm

Poll: Americans: Do you favor switching to the metric system?
This poll is closed.
°Certainly!
77.78%
21 77.78%
°Fuck no!
14.81%
4 14.81%
°Kind of on the fence.
7.41%
2 7.41%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Americans: Do you favor switching to the metric system?
Americans: Do you favor switching to the metric system?
I personally wish we'd get with the program. The metric system just makes more sense and it would make a lot of things easier (especially for me, because I have a really poor intuitive understanding of dimensions and capacities). I also understand, to some extent, why it hasn't happened and why it seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.

I would really prefer that only Americans respond to the poll, but comments from the world over are quite welcome.
RE: Americans: Do you favor switching to the metric system?
Yes. I favor it. It will take some getting used to, but in the long run, I think things will be much simpler.
I wish we would too, that way every time I go to Canada I don't have to keep thinking metric system metric system metric system
I'd have to relearn a whole lot of stuff, and while I like kilos and grams: I absolutely refuse Celsius. Too much of a difference between single degrees Fahrenheit, let alone Celsius.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Fuck No.....I'm too old to learn that commie shit.
English units is for mutants suffering multiple uneven afflictions of polydactylism. Metric units is for humans born with correct number of toes and fingers.
(December 28, 2013 at 6:39 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: I'd have to relearn a whole lot of stuff, and while I like kilos and grams: I absolutely refuse Celsius. Too much of a difference between single degrees Fahrenheit, let along Celsius.

What if we simply made the Celsius scale represent a thousand degrees of the liquid state of water rather than a hundred? Though, I suppose measuring tenths of a degree accomplish the same thing, more or less.

It is odd to have such wide degrees, but for the two most common applications of temperature measurement, cooking and weather, precision isn't that important for most people.

All I know is that 32°-212° is a lot less intuitive.
I wish they would. The obvious reasons aside, every time I watch american films and they start talking about temperature and distances I have absolutely no clue what is going on. Especially temperature. Recipes are also a pain in the ass when I was doing a course on nutrition and had to calculate calories and nutrients.

*The obvious reason being it makes sense for everyone to use the same system of measurement. And metric makes more sense intuitively than what america is using, besides it is the one most of the world is using.
No! The metric system will allow kids to get into drugs easier. Think of the children! /s
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I think all people should adopt the metric system. It is the truly revolutionary numeric system!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New evidence points toward Ninth Planet in the solar system Heat 57 10115 January 24, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Infant solar system in our backyard SpecUVdust 11 2743 December 6, 2012 at 5:38 am
Last Post: JohnDG