Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admins vs. Mods
Admins vs. Mods
How exactly do the responsibilities of a moderator differ from that of an administrator?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Admins vs. Mods
Moderator:
[Image: 300px-Walther_P99_9x19mm.png]

Admin:
[Image: gatling-gun-replica.jpg]

Oh, sorry. You said responsibilities. I was thinking of the other end. >.<
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 31, 2013 at 7:52 pm)Tonus Wrote: Admin:

What the bloody hell is this?
And where can I get one?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
My guess would be Moderators would take care of the front lines. Spammers, Trolls, Bots etc. Moderators on most forums are also mostly responsible for the overall "morale" of the forum and keeping things moving smoothly.

Admins are usually a couple of tiers. There's usually a couple who have access to the root files and do all of or most of the programming. The other admins are the ones who poke around in the admin panels... they have access to control groups, permissions, forum themes, forum names/titles, mass emails etc

This is the way AF.com is run (I am the one who does most of the programming) :-)
(December 31, 2013 at 9:39 pm)wolf39us Wrote: My guess would be Moderators would take care of the front lines. Spammers, Trolls, Bots etc. Moderators on most forums are also mostly responsible for the overall "morale" of the forum and keeping things moving smoothly.

Admins are usually a couple of tiers. There's usually a couple who have access to the root files and do all of or most of the programming. The other admins are the ones who poke around in the admin panels... they have access to control groups, permissions, forum themes, forum names/titles, mass emails etc

This is the way AF.com is run (I am the one who does most of the programming) :-)

Here's my perspective after 20 months on staff -

Mods here take care of moderating posts, handling reports, dealing with trolls, spammers, and other general mayhem. We can issue warnings and bans with a sufficient consensus of staff. Also various other stuff, moving, splitting, locking threads and such. We don't have access to any personal information other than IP addresses. By policy, with a few exceptions, non-routine actions require a certain level of consensus before mods (and admins) are authorized to act. There's enough oversight that mistakes are uncommon, and they get corrected when they happen.

Admins help out with the above, and also have access to tools to create subforums, and are able to view pretty much anything on the forum as well as access the forum configuration. As far as most day-to-day operations go, admin powers aren't required, as far as I can see. Perhaps on of the admins will comment.

Tiberius and Moros Synackaon have access to the server and database and make patches and code changes as needed. Not sure about Darwinian.

Barring the occasional forum blowup, things from my perspective are fairly routine. We tend to moderate lightly as much as possible.
(December 31, 2013 at 7:52 pm)Tonus Wrote: Moderator:
[Image: 300px-Walther_P99_9x19mm.png]

Admin:

Is the second one supposed to be a toy? That would imply something interesting.
(January 1, 2014 at 12:38 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Tiberius and Moros Synackaon have access to the server and database and make patches and code changes as needed. Not sure about Darwinian.

And I'm the man for stealing peoples' names from their email addresses. Big Grin

Calm down, guys. I'm kidding.
In Admin vs. Mod deathmatch, the mods always pwn the admins - but that's because we camp the spawnpoints.
(January 1, 2014 at 7:30 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: In Admin vs. Mod deathmatch, the mods always pwn the admins - but that's because we camp the spawnpoints.

There's safety in numbers.. Big Grin

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/wei...unting.htm
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(December 31, 2013 at 7:15 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: How exactly do the responsibilities of a moderator differ from that of an administrator?

Depends on the Mod and the Admin in question.
I personally make things beautiful around here. Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mods.. please cry like a baby here fr0d0 83 10768 September 13, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  ABBA avatar missing. ATT ADMINS. Brian37 22 5819 December 3, 2013 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Brian37