Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irony: Christian English Teachers
Irony: Christian English Teachers
Need I say more?
RE: Irony: Christian English Teachers
I rather think you do. What is ironic about Christians teaching English?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You know, English teachers! Not English teachers who only teach the English language, but English teachers who accompany lessons of reading and critical thinking skills through the literal arts. Not all English teachers teach reading and critical thinking skills I suppose, but English literature teachers certainly do! So... Please allow me to rephrase my thread through this post if I may, I don't know if I can change the thread title, if I can please let me know. My thread title from this point on is officially:
Irony: Christian English literature Teachers

Need I say more?
So basically you're saying the text dissection taught by Christian English teachers wouldn't be applied to the bible. And therein lies the irony. Ok. But I don't think we can get all that from the OP. You're overestimating us puny mortals.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(January 1, 2014 at 4:45 am)Sejanus Wrote: So basically you're saying the text dissection taught by Christian English teachers wouldn't be applied to the bible. And therein lies the irony. Ok. But I don't think we can get all that from the OP. You're overestimating us puny mortals.

I apologize... We are human after all, only somewhat more creative in thought compared to chimpanzees.

My only thoughts on the subject were that the bible is more than likely a great work of fiction depicting good morals and a serene peaceful way of living life, albeit expressed through fiction, which would require the use of symbolism, plot development, character development, and theme. The bible is written in a form that encompasses all of these, so I thought that it could very well be work of literature. If the bible is a work of fictional literature than any English literature teacher should know this from just reading the bible. However, there are many English literature teachers who teach reading and critical thinking skills through literary works, but they believe in God, a character in the bible who I assume is the protagonist, or at least that's what most christians have told me about the bible, it's a book about God and his works and nothing else. So to believe in a character of a work of fictional literature when one teaches reading through literature, be it fiction, which most curriculums contain at least one work of fiction that is used to teach a skill of reading or critical thinking, seems ironic because these teachers have to know the difference between a fictional character, and physical reference to an actual being that existed in some form. There beliefs contradict what they teach, to simply put it, and I find it ironic.
Quote:My only thoughts on the subject were that the bible is more than likely a great work of fiction depicting good morals and a serene peaceful way of living life, albeit expressed through fiction, which would require the use of symbolism, plot development, character development, and theme. The bible is written in a form that encompasses all of these, so I thought that it could very well be work of literature. If the bible is a work of fictional literature than any English literature teacher should know this from just reading the bible. However, there are many English literature teachers who teach reading and critical thinking skills through literary works, but they believe in God, a character in the bible who I assume is the protagonist, or at least that's what most christians have told me about the bible, it's a book about God and his works and nothing else. So to believe in a character of a work of fictional literature when one teaches reading through literature, be it fiction, which most curriculums contain at least one work of fiction that is used to teach a skill of reading or critical thinking, seems ironic because these teachers have to know the difference between a fictional character, and physical reference to an actual being that existed in some form. There beliefs contradict what they teach, to simply put it, and I find it ironic.

I agree to the extent that a devout English literature teacher is unlikely to be able to treat the Bible in the same way they would, say, 'Moby Dick' or 'Ethan Frome'. But I still think you paint with too broad a brush.

But it's probably a wash, anyroad. A Christian who teaches English literature is highly unlikely to choose the Bible as part of his course, since a Christian would view the Bible as something more than literature.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(January 1, 2014 at 5:23 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:My only thoughts on the subject were that the bible is more than likely a great work of fiction depicting good morals and a serene peaceful way of living life, albeit expressed through fiction, which would require the use of symbolism, plot development, character development, and theme. The bible is written in a form that encompasses all of these, so I thought that it could very well be work of literature. If the bible is a work of fictional literature than any English literature teacher should know this from just reading the bible. However, there are many English literature teachers who teach reading and critical thinking skills through literary works, but they believe in God, a character in the bible who I assume is the protagonist, or at least that's what most christians have told me about the bible, it's a book about God and his works and nothing else. So to believe in a character of a work of fictional literature when one teaches reading through literature, be it fiction, which most curriculums contain at least one work of fiction that is used to teach a skill of reading or critical thinking, seems ironic because these teachers have to know the difference between a fictional character, and physical reference to an actual being that existed in some form. There beliefs contradict what they teach, to simply put it, and I find it ironic.

I agree to the extent that a devout English literature teacher is unlikely to be able to treat the Bible in the same way they would, say, 'Moby Dick' or 'Ethan Frome'. But I still think you paint with too broad a brush.

But it's probably a wash, anyroad. A Christian who teaches English literature is highly unlikely to choose the Bible as part of his course, since a Christian would view the Bible as something more than literature.

Boru

Indeed I am setting up a stereotype here for English literature teachers in this thread and that is wrong of me, I apologize for that too.

What reason(s) would an English teacher have to view the Bible as something more than a work of literature?
Quote:What reason(s) would an English teacher have to view the Bible as something more than a work of literature?

And English teacher wouldn't. A Christian teacher of English literature would. Reason? Being a Christian.

Boru
(January 1, 2014 at 7:01 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:What reason(s) would an English teacher have to view the Bible as something more than a work of literature?

And English teacher wouldn't. A Christian teacher of English literature would. Reason? Being a Christian.

Boru

Indeed.