Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shame and nakedness
Shame and nakedness
When did humans start to equate not wearing clothes with a sense of shame? And why?
RE: Shame and nakedness
Hm ....

I can think of several reasons why clothes are good for you. They protect you from the insults of the weather and rough surfaces. And your clothing also shows that you are part of a tribe or a culture which allows you to partake in the benefits of that tribe/culture.

I don't know why we would be ashamed though. I don't think it is inherent. There are a lot of places today where people are naked all the time, and I was told it's because "it's too damn hot" over there, lol. I think maybe the shame is instilled culturally through upbringing, and we all know where this shame came from for the North American culture -- Genesis.
I'm sure the natives of south pacific islands enjoyed the Victorian dress codes foisted on them by pale white invading prudes. I wonder if Bill Bryson has tackled this topic.

Personally I have no problem being naked in front of anyone. It's not my mental health that's at stake.
Anyone who has been around toddlers long enough can tell this shame isn't something we're born with. It's instilled in us. There are benefits to wearing clothes.

As far as lustful thoughts from not wearing enough clothing, it seems the more we're used to certain attire, the less we are likely to jump on someone for it. Like the thread about a woman getting criticism from the muslim community for wearing something that we in the US would consider conservative dress.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 1, 2014 at 3:01 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: When did humans start to equate not wearing clothes with a sense of shame? And why?
When they reached 40.
Teenage boys, teenage girls, and teenage girls' fathers.
(January 1, 2014 at 3:01 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: When did humans start to equate not wearing clothes with a sense of shame? And why?
I don't think there are answers to these questions we can ever know for certain. However, it's easy to speculate that as early people spread into regions where clothing was advantageous (due to cold or hot climates), all sorts of related mores would develop.

Sexual fertility and reproduction were vitally important in tribal societies. (We still struggle with this legacy in our definition of marriage, among other things.) I can imagine how concealing the genitals evolved over time from simple protection to major freak-out.

Vive la différence!

Well I don't know what everybody else's hangup is, but the only reason I cover up my johnson is so I won't step on it. Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

(January 1, 2014 at 9:57 pm)Cinjin Wrote:

Well I don't know what everybody else's hangup is, but the only reason I cover up my johnson is so I won't step on it. Tongue

I going to roll my eyes at this statement
(January 1, 2014 at 9:57 pm)Cinjin Wrote: Well I don't know what everybody else's hangup is, but the only reason I cover up my johnson is so I won't step on it. Tongue
I wondered what I tripped on when I came in...