Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is utopia impossible?
Is utopia impossible?
Is Utopia impossible? Because utopia means something different to everyone.
RE: Is utopia impossible?
Hedonic treadmill. It's not human nature to be consistently happy. You can't have a utopia that most people will recognize as a utopia, because their level of dissatisfaction is a constant.
In pockets, I think so. The bigger the group is, though, the less likely it will be. The sooner we can find a way to keep the powerful from being corrupted by their power, the sooner we'll have a utopia. Maybe if we treated all positions of power as temporary terms. Don't let them stay in long enough to really screw things over.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Utopia is perfectly possible. If you don't include people. ANY people.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Utopia would have to mean making people uniform. If you did that, they wouldn't really be human.
Just popped some Soma, I'll let you know in a minute.

It depends on what you mean by Utopia. Particularly since we may be able to manipulate the brain so that everyone feels content, satisfied, and happy all the time, regardless of actual conditions, then we could make a world where everybody thought and felt they were in a utopia, but whether we'd ever actually do that, I doubt it. And I suspect mother nature might offer up some surprise wrinkles.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Utopia? I doubt it.

Distopia? Absolutely.

While perfection is a standard that I doubt humans can attain, we are certainly capable of great things. At least occasionally.
Utopia means "no place"

And that was the point Thomas Moore was making.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Yes "utopia" is not achievable.

Unfortunately humans have this "ideal" that they aspire to and essentially it is unrealistic.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Describing the impossible robvalue 21 1902 October 11, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  What does your Utopia look like? Excited Penguin 37 2989 September 16, 2016 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  rational naturalism is impossible! Rational AKD 112 36090 November 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: TheBeardedDude