Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does your Utopia look like?
What does your Utopia look like?
Can you imagine a better world? Would you describe it here?

I dream of the day when there's a world government. I think that would be best for civilization. And it would make a lot of sense too, what with the recent(on a civilisational scale) advances in communications and transportation. I think it would help the economy, science, culture, arts. I think it would bring people of different backgrounds together and provide clearly positive alternatives to group thinking and discriminatory tendencies.

I also think that government should better figure out how to provide for its own people, or, at least, how to give them the chance to provide for themselves. I think technology will get us there eventually.

I believe in certain universal benefits, such as healthcare and whatnot. I also believe in an improved justice system for each and every part of the world with a greater focus on rehabilitation than on retribution(which there shouldn't be any of, in fact) where criminals are concerned.

I'll maybe add more later. What are yours?
RE: What does your Utopia look like?
It looks like a place where people don't starve while enough food to feed every single one of them rots in containers or on docks or store shelves...often enough in plain sight of the starving people themselves. I doubt that -anyone's- utopia has room for hunger...so that's step 1, imo.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yes, properly feeding one's populace when one is able to do so seems like a worthy first step to take in a better world.
(August 31, 2016 at 7:37 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Can you imagine a better world? Would you describe it here?

I dream of the day when there's a world government. I think that would be best for civilization. And it would make a lot of sense too, what with the recent(on a civilisational scale) advances in communications and transportation. I think it would help the economy, science, culture, arts. I think it would bring people of different backgrounds together and provide clearly positive alternatives to group thinking and discriminatory tendencies.

I also think that government should better figure out how to provide for its own people, or, at least, how to give them the chance to provide for themselves. I think technology will get us there eventually.

I believe in certain universal benefits, such as healthcare and whatnot. I also believe in an improved justice system for each and every part of the world with a greater focus on rehabilitation than on retribution(which there shouldn't be any of, in fact) where criminals are concerned.

I'll maybe add more later. What are yours?
My utopia would be one where people accept and respect difference,  In particular, diversity (culture, religion, non-religion etc.) would be preserved and encouraged: peaceful co-existence cannot be obtained by forcing people to think a certain way.  In addition, people would be free to pursue their own dreams, passions, and goals (provided that they respect other peoples' right to do the same and that they cause no harm) and would not be burdened by  titles, salaries, and social constructs (star trek comes to mind here). Most importantly, people could be themselves and dispose of the socially constructed masks which inhibit meaningful connection and trust.

I suspect my Utopia would be different every month.
My utopia is something like Star Trek. People are free to pursue what they love because there is plenty of cheap clean energy, so the food is free people don't waste time and life earning it along with housing. Instead of working in some offices they terraform Venus and populate it with animals and people. They are constantly bombarded by pictures of deep space by myriads of probes sent around. They also roam all over the planet since fuel is so cheap that they practically don't live anywhere permanently. Robots are making their housing on, let's say some place, and then they tow it by air on desired locations.
That kind of world would be different almost like between us and people in ancient Egypt. That's why when I watch TNG I feel like I'm seeing people on higher level of evolution - they're always happy and pleased because they do what they love and can fix almost any problem that comes around. Indeed I think that in that kind of world where money has no value religion doesn't exist, because as any other business it died out.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
TNG
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Very simply put, since I won't write my own book here.

A place where noone goes hungry or is in need of medical care. Where everyone makes enough to earn a decent living, has access to education and most of all a roof over their heads. A place where everyone is employed according to their faculties and noone has to slave away at a job they hate.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(September 13, 2016 at 3:14 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: My utopia is something like Star Trek. People are free to pursue what they love because there is plenty of cheap clean energy, so the food is free people don't waste time and life earning it along with housing. Instead of working in some offices they terraform Venus and populate it with animals and people. They are constantly bombarded by pictures of deep space by myriads of probes sent around. They also roam all over the planet since fuel is so cheap that they practically don't live anywhere permanently. Robots are making their housing on, let's say some place, and then they tow it by air on desired locations.
That kind of world would be different almost like between us and people in ancient Egypt. That's why when I watch TNG I feel like I'm seeing people on higher level of evolution - they're always happy and pleased because they do what they love and can fix almost any problem that comes around. Indeed I think that in that kind of world where money has no value religion doesn't exist, because as any other business it died out.

Well said, Fake Messiah. Your post reminds me of the TNG season 1 episode 'neutral zone.' The enterprise crew just cannot grasp how we managed to survive in such 'primitive' (20th century) conditions.  I enjoyed the dialog between Picard and Ralph Offenhouse: living life solely for the pursuit of self-improvement is an idea that is alien to one who primarily lives for the accumulation of material things and vice versa.

orgies everywhere, no disease, all cures found.
medicine, food and drinks are for free.
no virgins allowed, if you're a virgin, they send you a hooker(male or female) to fuck you for free. maybe even rape you...kinky style Wink
robots doing all the hard work, the self driving car is driving me my super comfy workplace while i'm in the middle of a threeway.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Why do we look at death as a bad thing? FractalEternalWheel 30 4817 March 18, 2014 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Is utopia impossible? BrokenQuill92 29 3989 January 6, 2014 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Ryantology