Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could this be a real medical miracle? A man supposedly was raised from the dead
Could this be a real medical miracle? A man supposedly was raised from the dead
[note to the curious: I have joined different atheism message boards before this one, and posted this same message there as well. This version has a few trivial differences but is otherwise the same. I won't link to said boards to prove it, as it would be uncouth to nonchalantly divert traffic from this one, but if this looks familiar, then that is why. And if anyone objects to rampantly posting of the same topic on multiple boards, I can only plead that I was raised in a Fundamentalist Christian household and brainwashed with an extreme fear of hell, and it makes me feel better to address these kinds of topics head-on & frequently. Its might not be rational, since I no longer believe in Christianity or any other religion, but issues like these re-activate that brainwashing, and for some reason rational discussion of them just helps sooth my pain]

a Nigerian man was allegedly 'resurrected' from being dead for over two days.

Here is a documentary / docudrama on it:
<video removed>

And here is a website [a Christian one, ironically] discussing it from a more skeptical perspective:
<snip>

A great deal of info abounds there and else where about this case, but this jist of it is; this fellow was in a car accident, declared dead, and at least 48 hours later, was 'raised' from the allegedly dead state he was in, in a church, after many people there had been praying for him. He claimed that while he was 'dead', he was given a graphic tour of Heaven & Hell by an angel.

In my opinion, two things really stand out about the case. First, the mortician supposedly injected a considerable amount of embalming fluid in him *before* attempting a regular embalming later on (which he said he decided to give up on, because he felt the 'dead' body giving him supernatural-electric shocks, and later on it induced sounds of angelic singing coming from the room it was in, or something). A total of about five or six syringes worth, some in his hands, some in his feet. Second, the former-dead guy allegedly had cotton balls in his nostrils for a considerable amount of time after leaving the morgue and being placed in a coffin.

I think it is odd that a half dozen or so syringes of embalming fluid would be injected into a body *before* a real embalming. I've read other pages on the case, and one said it was to stiffen his fingers and toes, probably to make them look better for the funeral. Is that normally done even before a complete embalming is performed? And if not, what else good would some "pre-embalming" procedure like that actually do? In a dead body, it would just remain around the area of injection, and not flow to the rest of it to prevent decay.

However, the cotton balls in his nostrils are harder to explain (this happened after the mortician complained of the supernatural phenomenon surrounding the dead body, after which the family took it from the morgue and put it in a coffin). Could someone have such low breathing rate that they could stay alive through that?

I appreciate any helpful responses given.
RE: Could this be a real medical miracle? A man supposedly was raised from the dead
http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/ekechart.html

There are a few "discrepancies" in the story.

[Image: bullshit.jpg?w=720]
RE: Could this be a real medical miracle? A man supposedly was raised from the dead
Oh funny here is another great miracle

Oh shit nevermind, thats for the hindu's not jesus.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Never happened!! Never will! Dumb shit that people do...
[Image: vwWNS2u.gif]
(January 29, 2014 at 3:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/ekechart.html

Quote: Christians are not obligated to believe every story that comes along.

*bites tongue*
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I was told that I smelled like I was raised from the dead after two days after eating a Chipotle burrito. .. ffrrrrr.....
THere's a big difference between making a claim and having a verified medical "miracle"

If this had happened there would likely have been an article about it in a medical paper.
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 29, 2014 at 2:55 pm)Invisible Boy Wrote: I have joined different atheism message boards before this one, and posted this same message there as well

Thanks for letting us know you're here to spam!
I am NOT spamming. Perhaps I'm a bit obssessive, but I was raised in Christianity and brainwashed into thinking that any little mistake could get one an eternity in hell, and whenever i hear of some 'miracle' story like this one, it brings back those old pains. I should probably get help. But one must not forget that actually discussing / refuting these claims can be great help, and so I posted on multiple boards. I'm not advertising anything, and I would not go around admitting to posting about this elsewhere if I were.

I don't even care if someone checks the links or not. I just have a hard time getting over those first two points: 1) why would multiple syringes full of embalming fluid be injected into a body BEFORE it was given a full embalming, and 2) could this guy have survived having cotton balls stuffed in his nose and being placed in a coffin later on? Its really got my curiosity going.

Sorry if it seemed confusing to anybody.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yet another Miracle of the Sun. Jehanne 13 1434 October 25, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Sun miracle snerie 39 6466 February 15, 2017 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Brick Could E.T. have influenced religion? Napoléon 140 53205 April 20, 2011 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Napoléon