Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ragnarok is upon us!
Ragnarok is upon us!
Well, according to the Daily Fail, anyway:

Quote:Ragnarok, which translates to ‘Doom of the Gods’, is due to be preceded by the winter of winters.

Vikings believed, prior to the apocalypse, three freezing winters would follow each other with no summers in between.

All morality would disappear and fights would break out all over the world, signalling the beginning of the end.

The wolf Skoll would devour the sun, and his brother Hati would eat the moon, causing stars to vanish from the sky and the Earth to be thrown into eternal darkness.

Norse mythology experts have calculated that Vikings believed this will take place on February 22, 2014.

On this day, the god Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir and the other ‘creator’ gods.

However, here's my favourite bit:

Quote:Danielle Daglan from the Norvik Viking Centre told MailOnline that a number of recent events spoken about in the legends of Ragnarok led them to believe that the end of the world may well be imminent.

[...]

Another part of the legend suggests that the Midgard Serpent, named Jormungand, shall free itself from its tail and rise up from the ocean.

Ms Dagland points to the two huge fish which appeared on a beach in California last month.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Ragnarok is upon us!
Ragnarok? That's nothing. Ayn Rand said that a pirate named Ragnar Danneskjold would keep all my unjust taxes in gold until such time I left reality for heaven, er I mean Galt's Gulch.
Oh goodie! Another doomsday prediction.

And the news media are wondering just WHY their readership is falling?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Panic
All sounds a bit like - "Winter is coming."

Good - cos I love that series (both books and TV). I'm gonna get me a Dire Wolf.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
When the Asgardians come, I'll get the Hulk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30lGrarz3MQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDXseJRJIk
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

From what little I know of norse gods I get the feeling they tend to be too busy fighting one another to really bother any of us mortals.
(February 5, 2014 at 12:42 am)Stimbo Wrote: Well, according to the Daily Fail, anyway:

Quote:Ragnarok, which translates to ‘Doom of the Gods’, is due to be preceded by the winter of winters.

Vikings believed, prior to the apocalypse, three freezing winters would follow each other with no summers in between.

All morality would disappear and fights would break out all over the world, signalling the beginning of the end.

The wolf Skoll would devour the sun, and his brother Hati would eat the moon, causing stars to vanish from the sky and the Earth to be thrown into eternal darkness.

Norse mythology experts have calculated that Vikings believed this will take place on February 22, 2014.

On this day, the god Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir and the other ‘creator’ gods.

Goes to the closet to grab a lawn chair....

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Quote: February 22, 2014.

Guess I won't pay the mortgage early. Just because the stupid xtians are always wrong doesn't mean the Norse are.
Screw your Ragnarok, I'm the motherfucking Dovakiin.

[Image: skyrim-249651.jpg]
[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]