Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valentine Day's history has no Love History ??
Valentine Day's history has no Love History ??
I lately researched about the history of Valentine's Day. I wanted to know why it is celebrated as a symbol of love but sadly and unbelievably , I did not find even ONE event in history that can prove that Valentine's Day was celebrated to commemorate the beauty of love. I dont understand this. Let me explain it.
All of the legends which are related to its history are all unauthentic. No one has any valid evidence to prove any of the story related to it. The only one story that explains the Valentine is about the love a prisoner named Valentine felt for the daughter of his jailer who was later executed. Again , this story is a STORY. Wikipedia says that France celebrated this day as the beginning of mating season of birds. Then Why do all the supporters of Valentine's Day claim that this day is celebrated to commemorate love when nothing such happened in its history to which its assosiated with ?
??[/size]
RE: Valentine Day's history has no Love History ??
... because birds had sex? I have no...

Anyway, I hate Valentine's Day. Fuck it.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Not so hard to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day

Quote:The day was first associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. In 18th-century England, it evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"). Valentine's Day symbols that are used today include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. S

It's your basic Hallmark Holiday.

I agree with Ivy.
Aww shucks. I thought it was to celebrate Imbolc! You know.... Early spring?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Holidays cost me money.

I'm still researching the origins of type in large font for no apparent reason day. [Image: coffee.gif]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I am not a fan. I guess I will never be.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
I suggest we rename the holiday to "Sexy funtime day" and take it back from Hallmark.

Big Grin
Now to find someone to have "sexy funtime"
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Thanks for the opinions everybody . I appreciate them.
Ivy ! Its in the literature. Again, I cannot verify the authenticity of this tale but its believed to be true.
Minimalist ! No doubt in what you're saying. It was first 'associated' with romantic love in High Middle Ages but what made it 'associate' ?? Tales of Valentinus , Valentine and St. Valentine though explain the behind-the scenes origin of this day but fail to relate romance with it.

Look ! Love is what bonds the human spirits till eternity. Love is what we live for. But I want to know why it came to be celebrated as a symbol of love ? If there's no such thing , then there should be no Valentine Day either .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has pathology saved more lives than it has killed? FlatAssembler 20 1127 September 21, 2023 at 6:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What's your favorite "History is Stranger than Fiction" moment from world history? FatAndFaithless 31 6015 March 13, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Big Day in History Minimalist 4 1981 October 20, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris