Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Wife's Christian Co-worker
My Wife's Christian Co-worker
Ok so my wife just got off work and dropped this story on me. And seeing I already have something of a history of posting work conversations, this isn't a departure.

So basically she just came home and told me this guy she works with was talking about Christianity. My wife told him that she doesn't believe in god. She doesn't believe, but she hasn't researched anything about it or whatever. She just thinks the idea of a god is stupid. So this guy told her that she's not a whole person because she doesn't believe in something higher than herself. He also told her that there is a part of the brain scientifically proven to be "set aside" for god. Not to mention that people who believe in god are happier than people who don't.

So am I missing something, or is that absolutely ridiculous? I don't recall any "scientific" study saying we have a part of the brain for god. Or that Christians are happier. But I'm the first to admit that I'm no where near as educated on any of this as most of the people here, which is why I'm bringing it to you guys and gals.
RE: My Wife's Christian Co-worker
Well the brain part is obviously bull shit, it's obvious he isn't using his correctly.
(February 9, 2014 at 10:05 pm)Shaggy Wrote: He also told her that there is a part of the brain scientifically proven to be "set aside" for god. Not to mention that people who believe in god are happier than people who don't.

I asked some Christians here to show me where that part of the brain was on an anatomy chart when one of them cited its existence. To my complete lack of surprise, no Christians took up the challenge.
I have read studies that seem to imply that the human brain is hardwired to believe in the supernatural. Never heard of a part of the brain that only processes that sort of thing. The guy is talking out of his ass.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Quote:I asked some Christians here to show me where that part of the brain was on an anatomy chart when one of them cited its existence.

Ooh, ooh... I know.

[Image: 92809.jpg]
(February 9, 2014 at 10:05 pm)Shaggy Wrote: Ok so my wife just got off work and dropped this story on me. And seeing I already have something of a history of posting work conversations, this isn't a departure.

So basically she just came home and told me this guy she works with was talking about Christianity. My wife told him that she doesn't believe in god. She doesn't believe, but she hasn't researched anything about it or whatever. She just thinks the idea of a god is stupid. So this guy told her that she's not a whole person because she doesn't believe in something higher than herself. He also told her that there is a part of the brain scientifically proven to be "set aside" for god. Not to mention that people who believe in god are happier than people who don't.

So am I missing something, or is that absolutely ridiculous? I don't recall any "scientific" study saying we have a part of the brain for god. Or that Christians are happier. But I'm the first to admit that I'm no where near as educated on any of this as most of the people here, which is why I'm bringing it to you guys and gals.

The "study" about the brain is about as scientific as creationism.
Dying to live, living to die.
Oh yeah, the part about being happier is kind of correct. If you live in a religiously dominate society you are happier if you are religious too. It reverses if you live in a predominately non-religious society.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Your wife's standpoint of "the idea of a God is stupid" is the view that America needs to start adopting.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Edward Gibbon
Religious people may be happier. I mean, if you really believe you have an invisible, all-powerful companion, that has to be good for morale.

I prefer Puppyhova, myself, as Puppyhova is all-cute as well as all-powerful. He doesn't command the chopping off of people's wiener-tips, and he doesn't turn billions of people against each other in bloody warfare. He does, however, have a tendency to pee on cities once in a while when he doesn't get enough attention-- but whatcha gonna do? Also, I find it much easier to let Pupphyova into my heart than an old-man God who watches me masturbate in the shower. That's creepy.

As for the brain part-- I'm sure there probably ARE parts of the brain that respond specifically to superstition and unfounded belief, favoring irrational emotion and hunches over evidence. My dog is convinced, undoubtedly due to the way HIS brain parts function, that vacuum cleaners are evil, and that his pooh tastes delicious. I would not seriously entertain adopting either of those beliefs into my own world view, however, no matter how convinced my dog is-- nor how brightly his brain parts would light up in an fMRI scan.
Humans are curious, and like to see patterns whether there are any or not. That's probably as close as it gets to there being a part of the brain that's hardwired for god.

I also agree that people are happier when they are among likeminded people. Since USA is a nation with a lot of christians in it, you'd probably be happier if you were at least moderately christian. And ignored the horrible and outdated parts of the bible.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Flight of the Worker Bees ScienceAf 0 578 August 18, 2016 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  God banged YOUR wife! BlackSwordsman 12 2000 May 8, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Exchange I had with a Co-Worker Shaggy 10 3091 January 27, 2014 at 5:02 am
Last Post: Cinjin
  But I'm a good mormon wife Erinome 8 2510 June 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My wife is Christian... i'm not sure what I am. IDKWTB 25 7767 April 30, 2011 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Welsh cake