Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love?
Love?
Would or could an AI/human romantic relationship work? (Think Data or Chii)
RE: Love?
It all depends on whether or not said A.I were sufficiently advanced. At the time being, I don't think we could even figure out exactly how advanced that would be, let alone build said machine. That being said "mostly\completely indistinguishable from a normal human" would be a decent, if rather vague, qualifier to that end.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_fetishism
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

I've dated men who were stiffer than Commander Data. Why not?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 10, 2014 at 12:14 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Would or could an AI/human romantic relationship work? (Think Data or Chii)

I think a human man and AI woman would work great, assuming there was an off switch somewhere. Devil
(February 10, 2014 at 12:14 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Would or could an AI/human romantic relationship work? (Think Data or Chii)

Maybe ... if you turn them on.
(February 10, 2014 at 3:44 am)Rayaan Wrote:

Maybe ... if you turn them on.

Ha! Rayaan did a funny!
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(February 10, 2014 at 3:13 am)bennyboy Wrote: I think a human man and AI woman would work great, assuming there was an off switch somewhere. Devil

The off switch on Chii was between her legs, so... that didn't work out so well. Tongue

As to the OP, I don't see why not; assuming the A.I could achieve what we understand to be sentience, otherwise... well, it'd just be a sex doll, wouldn't it? Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
People fall in love with dogs, and indeed cars. Our ability to anthromorphalise is remarkable. So I see no reason why a person could not love a robot.

As to the robot loving a person, well there's the real rub. Can we adequately define love in order to program it?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(February 10, 2014 at 4:14 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Can we adequately define love in order to program it?

I don't think so.

Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love) Macoleco 16 1223 September 11, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne