Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love)
Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love)
Dante among his peers such as Petrarch popularized the courtly love. Which is honestly, I believe, an emotion most men feel at young age. To fall in love with a girl by just looking at her, and feeling and overwhelming sensation when near her, to the point of not thinking or talk coherently.

Do you think such concept has now disappeared from the social collective or ridiculed by words such as Oneitis

Courtly love is beautiful on paper, but painful in real life.
RE: Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love)
Must make an appointment with the eye doctor. Read this as Courtney Love...twice.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Also known as infatuation. This happened to me a few times while I was in school. I never said two words to any of the girls I was infatuated with. I have to wonder if they felt anything for me in return. But you're right, it's painful, extremely so. I would fantasize about these girls endlessly, imagining our lives together and having sexual fantasies, and it was actually terrible. I have no idea what made me infatuated with these girls in particular.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Administrator Notice
Comment deleted, read rule 7.
(September 9, 2022 at 12:09 pm)Macoleco Wrote: Dante among his peers such as Petrarch popularized the courtly love. Which is honestly, I believe, an emotion most men feel at young age. To fall in love with a girl by just looking at her, and feeling and overwhelming sensation when near her, to the point of not thinking or talk coherently.

Do you think such concept has now disappeared from the social collective or ridiculed by words such as Oneitis

Courtly love is beautiful on paper, but painful in real life.
Your definition of courtly love is incomplete. A crucial part you seem to have neglected to mention is the lady is supposed to publicly reject him, and that his love (at least publicly) was then to take another, somewhat closer to Platonic form. I emphasize publicly because, well, look at the tale of Launcelot and Guinevere.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
My understanding is that the concept of Courtly love had its origins in the Peace & True of God movement that attempted (largely unsuccessfully) to restrain High Middle Ages noble violence which later evolved into the concept of Courtly love via the romanticization of the Arthurian legends to later be mocked in Don Quixote, only to result in the Star Wars franchise a few centuries later on.
In my younger days, I usually had infatuations toward men I saw but never met. Of course, they always turned out to be straight. A huge part of this condition was due to me being an introvert. It's a dangerous condition, because it can lead to erotomania.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
If it weren't for lust, I'd have no sex life at all.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
IDW...romantizing unrequited love sounds like sour grapes to me.
<insert profound quote here>
Sour grapes would be trying to get something, failing to do so, and then convincing yourself that you never wanted it in the first place.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts of Reason Foxaèr 22 1667 October 25, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Sal
Lightbulb Some thoughts I felt compelled to share with anyone willing to listen, entheogen 22 2882 September 17, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: entheogen
  How our thoughts are formed? givepeaceachance 29 4201 May 24, 2018 at 5:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5485 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Thoughts RozKek 17 2514 April 25, 2016 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ethics Class Homework Assignments: Critiques, Thoughts... Thanks! Mudhammam 6 2631 July 5, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  describing the "collaboration" of parts; thoughts on spacetime Coffee Jesus 2 856 May 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The Problem of Imperfect Revelation: Your Thoughts? MindForgedManacle 144 40431 September 29, 2013 at 11:52 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Thoughts on next video... DeistPaladin 40 17393 April 5, 2013 at 10:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts on "Believing in Yourself" clemdog14 13 4505 January 11, 2013 at 9:01 am
Last Post: jonb