Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOMS (delayed onset muscle stiffness)
DOMS (delayed onset muscle stiffness)
Dear body

There is absolutely no point in telling me I trained too hard now, 36 hours after the event. Why didn't you tell me at the time Angry

Seriously. For DOMS I recommend contrast shower (20 seconds hot, 30 seconds freezing cold, repeat). It's a cheats way of doing the ice bath used by elite athletes. Also drink lots and lots and lots and then drink some more. At least a pint of milk. And of course warm up, warm down, and stretch.

Anyone else got any tips for DOMS?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: DOMS (delayed onset muscle stiffness)
After one massacre with my PT, I was sore for four days.. I just did some light workouts (Zumba and shit), though I couldn't do squats, since I wouldn't have been able to get up after the dip. But getting my muscles warm with exercise was helpful, it didn't completely take the stiffness away, but it helped a lot.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(February 13, 2014 at 4:35 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Anyone else got any tips for DOMS?

Copious amounts of beer.
I believe that in strict chemistry terminology, alcohol IS a solution.

Works badly with exercise though.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(February 13, 2014 at 7:00 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: I believe that in strict chemistry terminology, alcohol IS a solution.

Works badly with exercise though.

Good point, but my recent DOMS episode had nothing to do with what most call exercise. I was going to keep the details to myself, but fuck it....

You recently had a thread about getting older. I'll be 44 next week. Two weeks ago I finally got my NY plates for a car I had recently purchased in SC. SC doesn't prep the front bumper for a front plate. When I went to put the front plate on, there were just two little marks indicating screw placement. I was only armed with a screw driver, so I dutifully thrust away.

Almost 30 hours later I was sitting on my couch grabbing my right forearm near the elbow and grimacing in pain; this wasn't soreness mind you, it fucking hurt. It took me almost ten full minutes to figure out what had happened. Sore to the touch and in certain movements the next day. Two days later....nothing, as if it never happened. I'm confident my alcohol intake the first night allowed me to sleep.
(February 13, 2014 at 4:35 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Anyone else got any tips for DOMS?
Rest. That's what your muscles seem to be asking for when delayed soreness hits.

That, or a shot or two of Methandrostenolone.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I'm pretty sure it's Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, not Stiffness

As for dealing with it: just man up and enjoy the pain. You've earned it. Smile
Also, eat extra well: plenty of protein and vitamins, LOTS of water, plenty of rest-- basically all the BS your doctor tells you whenever you have anything at all to complain about.
rest seems to best thing for me, Squats always kill my legs which im fine with. I also agree with Benny with the right nutrition.
Time. Just man up and embrace it
Big Grin
"DOMS" is a regrettable acronym. I have plenty of tips for 'DOMS', but I do not believe that you're the kind of person who takes advice from the ghost of a 6 year old girl.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mind muscle connection? RozKek 7 1072 May 7, 2016 at 6:00 am
Last Post: RozKek