Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mind muscle connection?
Mind muscle connection?
Helewu guys. I want to talk about my biceps.

I'm going to make it short. I've quite recently (4-6 weeks 4 days a week) been going to the gym and you know, working out, and I have a problem with my biceps. I feel like I don't have this "mind muscle connection" with my biceps. When I do the workouts instead of my biceps burning, my forearm gets sore instead, the only workout that makes my biceps burn are the cable hammer curls but I don't feel the whole bicep "ball" burning if that's what's supposed to happen. Also when I flex my biceps they get a bit bigger and I can "bounce" them and my right bicep is decent it gets hard but not rock hard. Except I can't even feel it getting flexed if that is normal, I can't feel my left bicep when flexing either.. But the biggest problem is my left bicep, yes it is my non dominant hand but it just feels like I can't contract it. I can make it a bit bigger but it still feels kind of soft compared to by right bicep. I wonder if this is normal and just the result of weak, not developed biceps. If it helps, I'm quite skinny and my strength is at least average, not more though and I'm going to be honest my eating habits are complete shit (not literally).

Also I've heard something about the forearms getting sore instead of the biceps is golfer's elbow but I doubt I have golfer's elbows since they are only sore during the workout and maybe a little bit delayed soreness on the forearms. And it has happened 1-2 times where I feel very little tingling in some of my fingers on the right hand during reps but they stop tingling as soon as I stop, so I just think that has to do with bloodflow. And my forearms these couple of sessions have gotten better and don't get as sore from bicep workouts.

So, is this normal? Am I overreacting? How do I improve this "mind muscle connection" etc etc?
RE: Mind muscle connection?
I wish I could help, but I'm not even sure I have biceps Tongue
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If you're not paralysed, you have a mind muscle connection. Anything beyond that sounds like woohey, tbh.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hey man! So you started hitting the gym, that's awesome! Don't worry too much about your biceps and be sure not to over work it, little to no work is sometimes better than over working because over working can actually hinder muscle growth. Never overwork a muscle group.

So you aren't feeling the burn, don't worry it might be because you just started now after a while you will start feeling it. I normally do preacher curls, dumbbells, hammer, be sure not to focus on a single exercise either.

The left bicep not being as big as the right is totally normal. It's mainly because you are right handed, but after a while your left biceps will be as big as your Right’s but your right will double Wink

Also, i know biceps seems important(because that's the most visible evidence of you hitting the gym Tongue) , I used to overwork my biceps when I first started, it will always, always,backfire. Be sure to work all your body parts, set up a schedule, if you want I'll give you my timetable. I'm so glad you started hitting the gym! ^.^

Work hard play hard!! Big Grin
(May 7, 2016 at 5:00 am)pool the great Wrote: Hey man!  So you started hitting the gym, that's awesome! Don't worry too much about your biceps and be sure not to over work it, little to no work is sometimes better than over working because over working can actually hinder muscle growth. Never overwork a muscle group.

So you aren't feeling the burn, don't worry it might be because you just started now after a while you will start feeling it. I normally do preacher curls, dumbbells, hammer, be sure not to focus on a single exercise either.

The left bicep not being as big as the right is totally normal. It's mainly because you are right handed, but after a while your left biceps will be as big as your Right’s but your right will double Wink

Also, i know biceps seems important(because that's the most visible evidence of you hitting the gym Tongue) , I used to overwork my biceps when I first started, it will always, always,backfire. Be sure to work all your body parts, set up a schedule, if you want I'll give you my timetable. I'm so glad you started hitting the gym!  ^.^

Thanks a lot man! :p 

The thing that is my main issue is when I contract/flex my biceps I can't feel them contracting at all but my friends that I've asked say they can feel them contracting. I'm wondering if that's normal. Although when I do flex it is visible.

I do have a schedule but it's not very detailed so to speak, it's just the first times I went I just wanted to get a feel of the exercises and get used to them but now I'm starting to get more oriented.
(May 7, 2016 at 2:43 am)Alex K Wrote: If you're not paralysed, you have a mind muscle connection. Anything beyond that sounds like woohey, tbh.

What I mean is this mind muscle connection isn't strong when it comes to my biceps relatively speaking. My friends claim they can feel their biceps contracting but I can't. I was just wondering if it's normal or what the cause is. And it's a bit annoying during workouts when I'm supposed to have this mmc when doing bicep exercises and I can't feel a connection.
(May 7, 2016 at 5:17 am)RozKek Wrote:
(May 7, 2016 at 5:00 am)pool the great Wrote: Hey man!  So you started hitting the gym, that's awesome! Don't worry too much about your biceps and be sure not to over work it, little to no work is sometimes better than over working because over working can actually hinder muscle growth. Never overwork a muscle group.

Also, i know biceps seems important(because that's the most visible evidence of you hitting the gym Tongue) , I used to overwork my biceps when I first started, it will always, always,backfire. Be sure to work all your body parts, set up a schedule, if you want I'll give you my timetable. I'm so glad you started hitting the gym!  ^.^

Thanks a lot man! :p 

The thing that is my main issue is when I contract/flex my biceps I can't feel them contracting at all but my friends that I've asked say they can feel them contracting. I'm wondering if that's normal. Although when I do flex it is visible.

I do have a schedule but it's not very detailed so to speak, it's just the first times I went I just wanted to get a feel of the exercises and get used to them but now I'm starting to get more oriented.

Good. It'll take time but don't give up. You started just a few weeks before so it's normal to not feel much effect.
Sleep well too, a good sleep will help rebuild those muscles. Eat well too, eat protein more.
After 3 months you will start feeling the effects if you work... Smart, not hard.
Just keep doing your thing, in a few months people will start noticing differences
(May 7, 2016 at 5:35 am)pool the great Wrote:
(May 7, 2016 at 5:17 am)RozKek Wrote: Thanks a lot man! :p 

Good. It'll take time but don't give up. You started just a few weeks before so it's normal to not feel much effect.
Sleep well too, a good sleep will help rebuild those muscles. Eat well too, eat protein more.
After 3 months you will start feeling the effects if you work... Smart, not hard.
Just keep doing your thing, in a few months people will start noticing differences

Alright man, thanks Tongue  I'll keep in touch.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DOMS (delayed onset muscle stiffness) Jacob(smooth) 15 2085 February 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*