Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Being Called A Breakthrough in Fusion
What's Being Called A Breakthrough in Fusion
I don't expect to be alive to see it but maybe you younger guys will benefit.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-scientists-achie...31640.html

Quote: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. scientists announced on Wednesday an important milestone in the costly, decades-old quest to develop fusion energy, which, if harnessed successfully, promises a nearly inexhaustible energy source for future generations.

For the first time, experiments have produced more energy from fusion reactions than the amount of energy put into the fusion fuel, scientists at the federally funded Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California said.
RE: What's Being Called A Breakthrough in Fusion
You know Min, the invisible hand of the market™ will get a hold of that soon enough. Never underestimate the power of human greed.
If that greed drives the development of efficient fusion, we might just benefit in the long run.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
No. Never. It isn't the non-existent "invisible hand" that worries me. It's the actual hand of corporate crooks grabbing me by the balls that concerns me.
Like I said on FB...
Congratz NIF!
Now do it at 10 per second (that's their estimate to have a "continuous" power station)
Considering that I can recall hearing about the promise of fusion power when I was a child in the 1970s I remain skeptical that this will come to fruition any time soon.

That's not to say that it isn't worth pursuing - it's absolutely necessary that we do so.
(February 13, 2014 at 5:12 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Considering that I can recall hearing about the promise of fusion power when I was a child in the 1970s I remain skeptical that this will come to fruition any time soon.

That's not to say that it isn't worth pursuing - it's absolutely necessary that we do so.

What you heard in the 70's was the fruit of the 70's oil price boom.
Then oil price went down and all was silent for a while...
Now... well.... history repeats itself, but fusion science and technology has advanced something in the meantime... so it's closer...
Now if we can eliminate the inefficiency in delivery that is plaguing them, good times. They did not mention it in this article, but if I recall correctly (dicey in this case) there is at least an order of magnitude to work on?

Anyway, I don't have much of a problem with them having the time to work on containment before they can make a mini sun Smile
(February 13, 2014 at 5:12 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Considering that I can recall hearing about the promise of fusion power when I was a child in the 1970s I remain skeptical that this will come to fruition any time soon.

I think it goes something like, we're always only 20 years away from fusion power.

Let's not forget that we have a giant nuclear fireball that delivers 10,000 times the amount of energy we need, every single day, to most of the world, absolutely free.
(March 2, 2014 at 9:36 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:

I think it goes something like, we're always only 20 years away from fusion power.

Let's not forget that we have a giant nuclear fireball that delivers 10,000 times the amount of energy we need, every single day, to most of the world, absolutely free.
there lies the problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic little_monkey 20 5636 August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  What if religion never had a "breakthrough"? Dax 14 4389 December 22, 2012 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Brian37