Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is there anyone else on this planet like me??
is there anyone else on this planet like me??
freaking sucks all my life i feel like im an outcast with my beliefs because they dont really fit in with Christianity or other religions and i dont fit in with atheists either, though i like it here because of the Christian jokes lol and different ways to look at things.

ie: i believe in a god, but dont believe in bible stuff, the closest i come to fitting with are liberal christians but its very frustrating because ALL the other liberal Christians I have met around the world offlne and online believe in the concept of 'free will' and I don't believe in free will at all.

so its very frustrating and i feel like Im all alone Sad
RE: is there anyone else on this planet like me??
[Image: h1BE50761]

Just kidding. You are just going through what is called adolescence. Everybody goes through it. So see, not really alone at all. Not even close.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(February 23, 2014 at 6:49 pm)Rahul Wrote: Just kidding. You are just going through what is called adolescence. Everybody goes through it. So see, not really alone at all. Not even close.

isn't that like puberty? I'm 25 and what does that have to do with beliefs?
No. Puberty is when you first start adolesence. The brain doesn't fully develop until around your age. Maybe you're just a late bloomer.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
So, are you a deist?

There are plenty of places to go/people to meet who are very much like you. (try meetup.com, I got in with an atheist group in nashville, and a secular society.)

But the trick is to learn to enjoy the company of people not like you. Otherwise, I imagine life would be pretty lonely. If the only people I got along with were atheists, I would miss out on a lot of my most special friendships. If I ruled out anyone who didn't believe in a specific tenet like free will, well, then, the pool gets smaller.

Branch out! Learn to like the differences in people. There are certainly deal breakers (I can't be around evangelicals or fundies), but for the most part, life's cool when you accept all kinds.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 23, 2014 at 7:10 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: So, are you a deist?

well deists I think believe God exists but doesn't do anything to interact - which I think IS similar to 'free will'

I believe a lot of crazy things, but basically God exists and plans everything and we are just the actors on the stage, but at the same time we can make choices to be nice to people or jerks, but I strongly believe against the notion that everything is up to free will

(February 23, 2014 at 7:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

nice, is this true? its just frustrating because all the other liberal theists seem to overall believe the same thing - but i never met anyone who believes the stuff i do :/

(February 23, 2014 at 7:15 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: There are plenty of places to go/people to meet who are very much like you. (try meetup.com, I got in with an atheist group in nashville, and a secular society.)

But the trick is to learn to enjoy the company of people not like you. Otherwise, I imagine life would be pretty lonely. If the only people I got along with were atheists, I would miss out on a lot of my most special friendships. If I ruled out anyone who didn't believe in a specific tenet like free will, well, then, the pool gets smaller.

Branch out! Learn to like the differences in people. There are certainly deal breakers (I can't be around evangelicals or fundies), but for the most part, life's cool when you accept all kinds.

ya i agree, honestly i get along with all kinds of people offline, but i guess for some reason everyone more outspoken about their beliefs online :S
@leodeo any particular reasons WHY you believe that? There doesn't seem to be any evidence for it...
(February 23, 2014 at 6:36 pm)leodeo Wrote: freaking sucks all my life i feel like im an outcast with my beliefs because they dont really fit in with Christianity or other religions and i dont fit in with atheists either, though i like it here because of the Christian jokes lol and different ways to look at things.

ie: i believe in a god, but dont believe in bible stuff, the closest i come to fitting with are liberal christians but its very frustrating because ALL the other liberal Christians I have met around the world offlne and online believe in the concept of 'free will' and I don't believe in free will at all.

so its very frustrating and i feel like Im all alone Sad
If you define social inclusion by a complete matching of all philosophical beliefs, then I'm alone, too. Being Canadian, I can relate to other Canadians. Being a vegetarian, I can relate to other vegetarians. Being a parent, I can relate to other parents. Liking both heavy metal and classical music, I can relate to people who like either heavy metal or classical music. But if I'm looking only for other Canadian vegetarian parents who love both heavy metal and classical music, I'm not going to feel that I'm comfortably seated at the core of any social group, either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toward a Planet of Dogs? Leonardo17 1 394 November 9, 2023 at 9:31 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 4920 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler