Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking, Fast and Slow
Thinking, Fast and Slow
There was a Horizon on TV last night about the work of Nobel Prize winner Daniel Kahneman. Horizon can be a bit hit and miss, but this was quite good.

He proposes two modes of thinking:
System 1: Fast, automatic, frequent, emotional, stereotypic, subconscious
System 2: Slow, effortful, infrequent, logical, calculating, conscious

What was interesting was that he said that we tend to make decisions based on system 1, then if we have to justify it afterwards we will use system 2, but this is not how we made the original decision. This can be observed with someone for example being told that a ghost is nearby, and then attributing a strange noise to that ghost because it fits that pattern. It could also explain the strange justifications used by Christians on this forum!

Also when using system 1 we evaluate things based on past experience, rather than using a new pattern of thinking. We do this all the time, and make mistakes based on this. E.g. I've met 3 Australians and they were fat, therefore all Australians are fat. We need system 2 to take over and provide rational thinking. It seems that system 1 is very prone to fallacy. However using system 2 is costly and we may not use it out of laziness.

I found it interesting anyway, and I can think of times when I've made mistakes by using the wrong system.
RE: Thinking, Fast and Slow
Also, System 1 is racist Smile
(February 25, 2014 at 5:51 am)Alex K Wrote: Also, System 1 is racist Smile

Yeah. It's scary to think that we might we inherently racist.

I've always thought that racism was down to stereotyping which was caused by brain "laziness", as it's a lot easier to store information that is compressed in this way. They didn't mention data compression on the program (well it is Horizon), so I've no idea if this is the reason.
Sounds like hot and cold cognition. Interesting. I saw his TED Talk recently. This guy is pretty brilliant.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
That sounded really interesting, so I looked it up. Is this the right lecture?

That's the right person and right subject, so it's probably got far more depth than the Horizon episode.
You should to think fast because it is best to you to get progress in life.
(March 27, 2014 at 8:19 am)kaamil20 Wrote: You should to think fast because it is best to you to get progress in life.

Dude you rock Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 Science Trivia Questions to Get You Thinking Rhondazvous 7 766 May 10, 2020 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Water fast purplepurpose 42 6359 April 23, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is there a term for this? Quick thinking in a crisis. Gawdzilla Sama 14 1858 September 27, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Fast Track Evolution Minimalist 8 1967 June 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious