Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Life Fundamentally Boring
Is Life Fundamentally Boring
There's always stuff to do to fill our time on Earth and plenty of fun things to do too. But once we do enough of a certain thing, it begins to feel boring. Then we look for something else to do. And eventually that gets boring. And so on. Now granted, there's a lot of stuff to do while you're alive so you can probably never get bored of everything, or even what you're truly capable of doing.

But it seems we always get bored eventually with the particular thing that perhaps currently satisfies us. Even if we devote our time to a specific topic, we'll probably find ourselves growing bored with it from time to time. You might even be growing bored with me right now, yapping on about boredom. Well, what I'm trying to say is, maybe life is just fundamentally boring, at least for me because right now, I'm bored. Suggestions?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Is Life Fundamentally Boring
I don't think so. I think life is fundamentally sucktacious. But you know, that's just my experience. I never really get bored because the list of things to experience in the universe is infinite and constantly growing. I could live for an eternity and still not get bored. But I probably would not last an eternity, due to life being sucktacious.

Tell me books, movies, and TV shows you like. I will suggest more stuff you will like.
Boredom is a mismatch between you and your environment, and you are almost infinitely flexible. I see this as more related to the hedonistic treadmill.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
"The Challenge"

Of learning something new, of trying to master a task ..... IF these things are missing then boredom may set in.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 2, 2014 at 12:32 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: "The Challenge"

Of learning something new, of trying to master a task ..... IF these things are missing then boredom may set in.

I was gonna post something very similar, but you beat me to it.

Life to me is all about the challenges, when there is no challenge things get boring. If you find yourself being bored often then maybe your just not challenging your self enough.
Nope.
I love reading but I do so in spurts. I like a good Netflix show... currently watching House of Cards but I can only watch new episodes when my girlfriend's around or she'll kick my ass. I like a handful of websites that I frequent each day. I like to smoke weed... not shit to do outside in Michigan right now. I dunno what to get into.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Our fear binds us more securely than lack of options.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 2, 2014 at 1:22 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I love reading but I do so in spurts. I like a good Netflix show... currently watching House of Cards but I can only watch new episodes when my girlfriend's around or she'll kick my ass. I like a handful of websites that I frequent each day. I like to smoke weed... not shit to do outside in Michigan right now. I dunno what to get into.
You only gave me one specific thing. I need to know more things you like to get an idea of what speaks to you.

For example, my favorite TV shows right now are Doctor Who, Being Human (both the UK and US versions), and Lost Girl. From that, you could easily conclude that I like speculative fiction. And you would be right.
When I get bored, I get depressed, but then I'm no longer bored.

So, I have to constantly try to bring interest into my life just to function.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15404 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4098 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist