Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blew the dust out- way quieter!
Blew the dust out- way quieter!
One time, one of the guys at work had me clean out his computer with compressed air and he said it ran a lot quieter.

Today I took mine outside and did the same thing- lots of house dust left, along with half the fan noise.
I think the extra load on the fan motor is the source of the loudness, and when it is clear, the noise and load goes down.
RE: Blew the dust out- way quieter!
Replacing the thermal grease after removing the old with anhydrous alcohol works wonders.

Thermal grease ain't forever and when it breaks down it becomes more like an insulator (disaster).
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I'm not sure how to get it blown out. Would a hair dryer help?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I bought a water-cooled case. Amazing. What air comes out of it is cool and it is very quiet.
(March 2, 2014 at 5:13 pm)professor Wrote: One time, one of the guys at work had me clean out his computer with compressed air and he said it ran a lot quieter.

Today I took mine outside and did the same thing- lots of house dust left, along with half the fan noise.
I think the extra load on the fan motor is the source of the loudness, and when it is clear, the noise and load goes down.

You know, you could always beg god to fix your computer *rimshot*

Damn, couldn't resist, sorry. Tongue
(March 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I'm not sure how to get it blown out. Would a hair dryer help?

I'm no expert, I'm basing all this on research I did when I first had to clean out my computer, but apparently that could cause more harm than just leaving it dusty. There's a potential for the air currents acting on the dust to generate static, which is not what you want inside a computer. The same goes for using a vacuum cleaner. Much safer to buy a can of compressed air, an "air duster", for next to nothing and use that. It's important to secure your fans with something like a pencil, otherwise the action of the blades spinning in reverse could conceivably generate a current.

Now I sit back and await others better versed in this subject to fall on me like the proverbial ton of bricks.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 3, 2014 at 1:04 am)Stimbo Wrote:
(March 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I'm not sure how to get it blown out. Would a hair dryer help?

I'm no expert, I'm basing all this on research I did when I first had to clean out my computer, but apparently that could cause more harm than just leaving it dusty. There's a potential for the air currents acting on the dust to generate static, which is not what you want inside a computer. The same goes for using a vacuum cleaner. Much safer to buy a can of compressed air, an "air duster", for next to nothing and use that. It's important to secure your fans with something like a pencil, otherwise the action of the blades spinning in reverse could conceivably generate a current.

Now I sit back and await others better versed in this subject to fall on me like the proverbial ton of bricks.

That is my understanding as well, more or less.

FWIW, I used to do computer field service a few decades ago and we used portable vacuums to clean the dust and shit out of everything. Then again, equipment back then didn't have the semiconductor density that we have today.

I'm in the compressed air camp these days.
Can you two experts tell me what's the difference between having air going away from your machine and air going toward it, that one causes static, and the other doesn't?

I always use a vacuum cleaner and it works just fine... plus, no dust flying around and messing with your lungs.
(March 2, 2014 at 5:13 pm)professor Wrote: Today I took mine outside and did the same thing- lots of house dust left, along with half the fan noise.

I think if the sensors report a high temperature the fans are spun faster to compensate. Dust will make make it harder for the air flow to take the heat away. I don't think a dust on blade stresses the motor causing noise, if that's what you meant.
Your plastic pal who's fun to be with![Image: b7wAvWj.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the Best Way To Move To A New HDD ReptilianPeon 47 2244 October 9, 2018 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy