Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Loves Atheists
Texas Loves Atheists
What's going on guys? I have lived in Texas all my life, and so as many of you can guess my intellectual development has been hindered by constant ostracism on the basis of my lack of religious belief. It is interesting to note that until recently (meaning four years ago) i actually did believe in god. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I promise my story is at least a little interesting.

I was raised catholic, and i believed every last bit of it wholeheartedly when i was growing up. I loved to read (and i still do). my freshman year of high school, i read Bertrand Russel's "Why i am not a Christian" and that was the unceremonious end to my catholic belief. However, i hadn't a single clue that atheists were thought of as monsters in my family, school, city. I kept my ideas to myself for the better part of three years because i had learned that arguments need to be strong so that they can withstand criticism and disbelief. I really thought i knew what i was going up against. When i was a senior in High School (which was less than a year ago), i had built up such confidence in my ideas that i no longer cared that i lived in a dogmatic social hierarchy. I was going to let my opinion be heard no matter what the consequences, and so, armed with my ideas that were fueled mostly by Lucretius and Russel, i became what is known as a militant atheist.
Sometimes, i wonder if i made the right choice. Every time someone brought up their "unyielding faith", i was compelled to show all the reasons why their belief was flawed. This resulted in me losing nearly all of my friends(those i didn't lose are those who i converted). This was a huge deal to me, because many of the kids i grew up with could no longer "associate themselves with an ATHEIST". I did'nt learn my lesson here, though. When i thought my argumentation was polished enough, i even went so far as to challenge my parents on the concept. Boy, was that a mistake. As you might guess, they kicked me out of the house for being a heretic.
I finished out my senior year living with my awesome friend Joseph and now currently attend UTSA as a Freshman pursuing a Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Here at UTSA, the story isnt much better. I am still very vocal about why i think religion is unnecessary, and as such most of my classmates tend to shy away from my company.

So that's that, peeps. was my life's story up to now entertaining?
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"-Mewtwo
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.” - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”- Voltaire
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” -Epicurus
RE: Texas Loves Atheists
Hello JP and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Yeehaw!
Sorry to hear that you lost your friends and got kicked out! At least Senior year seems like a better choice as far as timing...
San Antonio is pretty catholic too Sad
Any chance to one day go to UT Austin? In TX that sounds like the place where you could be at home with your beliefs...
(March 11, 2014 at 1:46 am)Alex K Wrote: Yeehaw!
Sorry to hear that you lost your friends and got kicked out! At least Senior year seems like a better choice as far as timing...
Any chance to one day go to UT Austin? In TX that sounds like the place where you could be at home with your beliefs...
I grew up in San Antonio.
Im probably going to get my Bachelor's here at UTSA, just because of cost efficiency. With high hopes and a rigid work ethic, i'll find myself at Cal State for my grad work.
Cheers!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"-Mewtwo
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.” - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”- Voltaire
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” -Epicurus
(March 11, 2014 at 1:51 am)Jovanian Teapot Wrote:
(March 11, 2014 at 1:46 am)Alex K Wrote: Yeehaw!
I grew up in San Antonio.
Im probably going to get my Bachelor's here at UTSA, just because of cost efficiency. With high hopes and a rigid work ethic, i'll find myself at Cal State for my grad work.
Cheers!

Well, that sounds like a plan Big Grin
Welcome JT.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome to AF! Your story sounds a lot like my nephew, who was thrown out by his parents for a couple weeks.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Hello, JT.

Quote:i had learned that arguments need to be strong so that they can withstand criticism and disbelief.

Have you ever noticed that with theists that is strictly a one-way street?
Welcome, JT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Howdy from Texas! brian1570 71 7222 September 8, 2015 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Member saying hello from Texas Caveman 10 3510 August 16, 2013 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Fruity
  Closet Atheist that loves to debate JesusShaves 17 6734 May 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Star Greetings from Texas! Engel 10 3507 May 3, 2012 at 7:49 am
Last Post: NoMoreFaith
  Howdy From Texas...The Bible Belt! LunchBox 34 6094 January 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist