Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closet Atheist that loves to debate
Closet Atheist that loves to debate
Hello, I'm here because I'm interested in how much baggage is attached with words like Atheist and Christan.

As a favor from moderators, I'd like to ask that the rule about personal attacks be ignored for attacks directed at me for this thread alone, short of a moderator agreeing to this everyone else should still follow the rule. Of course I'll understand if you don't want to because it might be hard to coordinate or the chaos it might incite or whatever other reasons, but I hope it might help serve to understand this type of thing.

I've just been banned from a Christan forum because 'they didn't want to see my anger' after I warned that I will debate with anger if people would continue to call homosexuality a sin around me.

I hope to find useful ways to approach religious discussion here so that I can apply them in real life where I can't hide behind a fake name.

I'll shortly make a post about useful tactics for approaching discussions like this where I'll go into depth of my very short and very enlightening stay on the Christan forums. Please note that I really want to avoid re-enforcing any stereotypes so don't take any of this as any sort of proof of either Christians being (any word of your choice) or me thinking they are (that word) until you have finish reading my full detail on the other thread I haven't started yet.

This thread I hope to serve as reference that I can direct people from other future threads where I talk about my personal story and personal goals.
goal number 1: The best possible communication level with my girlfriend and understanding the nature of how humans interact with each other. This as the last in many places I've been lead to by this goal and if you had talked to me 5 years ago you would have considered me a person of sub-par intellect with no hope of ever talking normally for sure.
As a sub-goal I also want to learn ways to convince people of facts that a blatantly true. its really a strange thing to me that evolution is rejected by so many and I can't help thinking there must be a way to solve this.
goal number 2: understanding the best way to bring up emotional charged subjects (religion), I am as some would call a "islamaphope" if there was such a word. I'm shortly leaving the U.S. for a place that is currently under a immigration attack and worry when moderate Christians treat me with contempt what radical Muslims would do in the same place.

My story:
My introduction to religion was a testament that both my mom and dad think the God of the bible is real and little more then that. Then introductions to many other religions, with a bit of a emphasis of Christianity. I assumed Jesus, hell and God for a long time but was only interested in the ideas of being good, I remember working it out around the age of 12 that if God is real and me living good isn't good enough for him then I would want him to cast me out. So in that way blasphemy could only help me. This is still how I feel today except if God did allow me into heaven I would no longer trot in like a happy sheep, but ask him where he was when I was desperate for him and where he is for the people that are still desperate for him.
A few years after this I became interested in evolution, and interested in Christians by extension. The silly rejection of evolution led me to look at the other silly things they do, right down to me realizing the how silly the idea of a infinitely powerful God is.

Because I was never a person a faith it's hard for me to understand how someone can accept and defend things that are just plain wrong. The closest I ever came to something like this was thinking the moon landings were faked. Yes I know, but I was a kid new to the Internet and for a while the evidence each side had looked unbalanced. For example no one could explain how the Van Allen band was accounted for other then the ones that said it was far to strong for the lunar lander to protect from. I feel like it's different for me then a anti-evolutionist because I looked for arguments about the Van Allen band and when none could be found I started reading all sorts of things about radiation. I feel that my understanding of space is far better now thanks to being tricked, and when a explanation for the Van Allen bands was given I understood it and accepted it with no resistance. It's alien to me when I see explanations for evolution given and flat out refused.

Thanks if you made it this far and please feel free to ask any questions.
RE: Closet Atheist that loves to debate
Not sure why you would expect personal attacks, but still... thanks for your story and welcome.

There is a way to solve the problem of evolution, but its not a quick one, its merely education. Sometimes contentious ideas take a while to settle, and quite frankly we need a lot of fundamentalists with power to .. quite frankly, meet their maker.. the earth.

Don't mind a bit of abuse, as long as its got solid reasoning behind it.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Welcome. We currently have plenty of bible thumpers to abuse, so you should be able to find some fun here.
Hello, J/S... and, as can be seen from this early 4th century painting from the Catacomb of Domitilla, he did indeed shave....and also his disciples apparently wore togas, too.

[Image: christ_teacher.jpg]

Apparently, jesus not only "shaved" he apparently "shit" every morning, too, although I doubt he "showered."

Welcome aboard....we have a few idiot fundies around...feel free to shit all over them.
Welcome. Don't worry if you've read any of the threads here you'll notice that some people are pretty aggressive. Anyone that doesn't like your debating style can add you to their ignore list if they want.
(May 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Not sure why you would expect personal attacks, but still... thanks for your story and welcome.

Oh not expect, but I would like to see how I am attacked if that sort of thing is allowed to go on given my full(ish) story.
Again, pending a moderators ok on this.
There is a Convert's Corner for deconversion stories.

Welcome!
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(May 12, 2012 at 7:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Apparently, jesus not only "shaved" he apparently "shit" every morning, too, although I doubt he "showered."

Ha ha, that's really funny. Can you believe no one had this name by the way?
Yeah - that's an oddity but if you want an avatar....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEWAoAqI7oqhCnlIjP_Jc...yqTpTKGcrA]
(May 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah - that's an oddity but if you want an avatar....

ROFLOL
Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here, still in the closet! okccannon 17 3111 October 3, 2017 at 8:55 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  I'm a Closet Atheist Cecelia 39 5379 September 2, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Texas Loves Atheists Jovanian Teapot 13 2085 March 11, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Thumbs Up Out of the closet Atheist Xyster 12 3950 August 28, 2009 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Darwinian