Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does an atheist...
What does an atheist...
WOW. There's is a lot of good information on this website. I should have probably lurked for a bit before I started posting. I'll probably be regurgitating many of the same points and questions already on here so I appreciate your patience with me on this matter. Here's a quote from a thread that got me thinking. "(God)thinking being should exist without a body to nurture and protect."

Here's my question: What does an atheist believe (or not believe) that God stands (or doesn't stand) for?
RE: What does an atheist...
(December 8, 2009 at 4:05 am)tackattack Wrote: WOW. There's is a lot of good information on this website. I should have probably lurked for a bit before I started posting. I'll probably be regurgitating many of the same points and questions already on here so I appreciate your patience with me on this matter. Here's a quote from a thread that got me thinking. "(God)thinking being should exist without a body to nurture and protect."

Here's my question: What does an atheist believe (or not believe) that God stands (or doesn't stand) for?

I don't believe in God and logically nothing can't stand for anything.
I'm sure you've had to disprove theists who've been on this forum and in your life before. You must have some concept of what is God. Doesn't your hypothesis of God not existing have to have a premise on which to quantify your evidence? I mean you have to have some notion of something you're trying to disprove, don't you?
No, basically, what I want is to hear what kind of god it is the theist believes in and why, and start from there. Not even theists agree on what a god is supposed to be, so arguing against my vision of a god and presuming that that is your idea of a god doesn't help at all.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 8, 2009 at 4:31 am)tackattack Wrote: I'm sure you've had to disprove theists who've been on this forum and in your life before. You must have some concept of what is God. Doesn't your hypothesis of God not existing have to have a premise on which to quantify your evidence? I mean you have to have some notion of something you're trying to disprove, don't you?

I'm not trying to disprove anything, the burden on you is to prove your claim.

I am also not the one who gives God attributes, though i am aware of the ones given to him commonly, to which i say there is no attribute that i am aware of that does not already have a naturalistic explanation (regardless of whether or not we can prove it), and even if there was no naturalistic explanation possible at all, there is still no way of knowing whether it was God or any other supernatural explanation.
(December 8, 2009 at 4:41 am)leo-rcc Wrote: No, basically, what I want is to hear what kind of god it is the theist believes in and why, and start from there. Not even theists agree on what a god is supposed to be, so arguing against my vision of a god and presuming that that is your idea of a god doesn't help at all.

If you want to hear my opinion of my God I'll state it at the end of this post. Simply denying my question and presuming that I'm going to argue your view or presuming that I think that your idea of a God won't help me is incorrect. I am here to seek out opinions that differ from mine, not change anyone except myself. I then can take those outside observations and internalize them, so your views would be quite helpful in that process adn thank you in advance for answering my question since you haven't yet.

I fee God is outside of the universe, something that could be sentient or could just be a ball of energy feeding our universe. Because it caused something to happen we have the known universe inside of the universe that we can observe. It provided us with planar constants like up, down, time, etc. It is Omnipresent because it is outside of our universe. It affects our universe. It might be cognizant and choose to take action or not and be omnipotent. It might be random fluctuations of an energy field and fate takes over. That's the short and sweet of it.
(December 8, 2009 at 5:07 am)theVOID Wrote:
(December 8, 2009 at 4:31 am)tackattack Wrote: I'm sure you've had to disprove theists who've been on this forum and in your life before. You must have some concept of what is God. Doesn't your hypothesis of God not existing have to have a premise on which to quantify your evidence? I mean you have to have some notion of something you're trying to disprove, don't you?

I'm not trying to disprove anything, the burden on you is to prove your claim.

I am also not the one who gives God attributes, though i am aware of the ones given to him commonly, to which i say there is no attribute that i am aware of that does not already have a naturalistic explanation (regardless of whether or not we can prove it), and even if there was no naturalistic explanation possible at all, there is still no way of knowing whether it was God or any other supernatural explanation.

Nor did I state you were. But I will have to do more reseach through these thread to see if you've actually tried. I assumed there and shouldn't have. I make no claims unless asked and am just here to get input. So from the above you do not equate God attributes, but if it exists would refrence them to nature?
(December 8, 2009 at 5:15 am)tackattack Wrote:
(December 8, 2009 at 4:41 am)leo-rcc Wrote: No, basically, what I want is to hear what kind of god it is the theist believes in and why, and start from there. Not even theists agree on what a god is supposed to be, so arguing against my vision of a god and presuming that that is your idea of a god doesn't help at all.

Simply denying my question and presuming that I'm going to argue your view or presuming that I think that your idea of a God won't help me is incorrect.

What you are basically doing is something like asking a person who doesn't believe in pixies, what kind of pixies that person doesn't believe in.

I think you still are not quite grasping the concept of atheism. I don't sit around contemplating what god I would not believe in, I just don't believe in any god any theist has ever proposed. You are the one believing in a god, and I don't.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Atheism (n) : the ultimate dodge
Christianity (n) : The ultimate escapism
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(December 8, 2009 at 5:28 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Atheism (n) : the ultimate dodge

Coming from you that is bit rich don't you think?

Besides, you of all people should know very well that I am an equal opportunity disbeliever. I don't believe in any god, period.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Does It Mean To Be Atheist. laserthought 47 11276 August 15, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? Eel_LahjicK 63 11621 August 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: ShaMan