Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the point of deism?
Whats the point of deism?
Why do you need god as a starting point?
How did he manage to die?
If he didn't die why is he so inactive and what is he doing?
ROFLOL

Seriously it even makes less sense then monotheistic bullshit.
RE: Whats the point of deism?
The deist god is jerking off on planet kolob.
(March 15, 2014 at 12:52 am)Minimalist Wrote: The deist god is jerking off on planet kolob.

No wonder you have 27000 posts.
(March 15, 2014 at 12:48 am)tor Wrote: Seriously it even makes less sense then monotheistic bullshit.

However, it makes much more sense than (see how I spelled that?) dumping an animated ROFL emoticon behind your trail of trivial unamusing ramblings.

Is there any possible way you will voluntarily switch allegiance in the theist/atheist debate?
(March 15, 2014 at 12:48 am)tor Wrote: Why do you need god as a starting point?
Instinct and sentiment, mostly. I look at the universe and see a grand machine. I reflect on the human mind and the potential of our civilization and I see intent.

Quote:How did he manage to die?
What?

Quote:If he didn't die why is he so inactive and what is he doing?
It, not "he".

This is a metaphor I've often used in this forum and here it is again. It's a matter of scale. The human scientist doesn't relate to a bacteria colony cultivated in a dish. If the deist model of the universe turns out to be true, I'd expect to find we're one of countless such cultivations and we should expect to find many civilizations in the universe.

Quote:Seriously it even makes less sense then monotheistic bullshit.
How so?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Is god an intelligent thinking agent?
(March 15, 2014 at 1:53 am)tor Wrote: Is god an intelligent thinking agent?

I don't fucking know. Go ask Yogi Bear.
ROFLOL

Word salad anyone? I have croutons of clarity, and a grammar vinaigrette:

Deism- belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

http://www.deism.com/

So you know what deism is in the future.

Also; I believe than is the word you were looking for, but I understand, those damned A & E keys are only separated by two letters diagonally. Big Grin
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
ROFLOL

I don't agree - despite not being a deist. I don't find the idea that the universe had an intelligent creator all that unbelievable in comparison to the idea that it is taking an active interest in the affairs of humanity - down to the individual level.

Whilst I see no need for intelligence in getting the universe going I can fully understand either the desire or the genuine belief that there must be one.

A being that could create the universe might have started many. There's no reason why not. That creator could be extremely active - just not here. If it built the universe to be self-maintaining then active involvement would be a complete waste of its time and resources.

There is also no need for it to be genuinely all powerful, all knowing and so on - just hugely more capable than we are.

I do have to say that when I argue against theist propositions I invariably find that, when dismissing them I end up at either no god or a deist god as the possibilities or probabilities.

Never yet found a way to dismiss the deist god other than the lack of a need for one - and that's not really provable at this stage.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
After I discovered big bang the idea of a creator become pretty obsolete. Why would there be a need for an intelligence behind it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 569 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why not deism? Inqwizitor 200 14343 July 17, 2020 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Your point of living? joe90 82 10807 May 9, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why I'm an atheist, a point of confusion for many theists Asmodee 28 5522 December 21, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  whats the biggest reason you left christianity? Rextos 40 5375 July 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Deism: I don't get it robvalue 114 13288 February 16, 2015 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: emilynghiem
  What is the point of anything? Nell 42 8399 February 13, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  whats the point of this forum? christianteen 32 6783 December 25, 2014 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  whats the message? fojo 4 1040 November 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: fojo
  Hey Gnostic Atheist - prove your point answer-is-42 26 7036 September 18, 2014 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Tonus