Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not deism?
Why not deism?
Atheism is an amorphous description of a lack of belief in a god or gods. It could mean that someone has no faith in a religious idea about what a god or gods means, or it could be a philosophical conviction of some kind. 

Something I'm curious about is why deism is virtually non-existent nowadays. There are arguments for the existence of "God", that actually, in the end, don't amount to much more than a hypothetical Prime Mover, or "something" — we don't know what — that is the source of reason, volition and material phenomena. 

Is deism pointless or even dishonest, because it's asserting something as knowledge that we cannot know? Did you ever seriously consider it instead of atheism? Or is there any practical difference?
RE: Why not deism?
(September 15, 2019 at 1:22 pm)Inqwizitor Wrote: Atheism is an amorphous description of a lack of belief in a god or gods. It could mean that someone has no faith in a religious idea about what a god or gods means, or it could be a philosophical conviction of some kind. 

Something I'm curious about is why deism is virtually non-existent nowadays. There are arguments for the existence of "God", that actually, in the end, don't amount to much more than a hypothetical Prime Mover, or "something" — we don't know what — that is the source of reason, volition and material phenomena. 

Is deism pointless or even dishonest, because it's asserting something as knowledge that we cannot know? Did you ever seriously consider it instead of atheism? Or is there any practical difference?

Deism does not supply the believer with a Daddy figure in the sky. The argument for Deism does not supply an atheist with anything. It is the same as if no gods exist.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(September 15, 2019 at 1:22 pm)Inqwizitor Wrote: Atheism is an amorphous description of a lack of belief in a god or gods. It could mean that someone has no faith in a religious idea about what a god or gods means, or it could be a philosophical conviction of some kind. 

Yeah I have seriously considered it. In fact, I was a deist for quite a while after leaving the Christian faith because at the time I still found plausibility in standard arguments for God that had nothing to do with Christianity specifically. Then after further reading and discussions with atheists, I came to realize that my belief in the deist God was nothing more than a legacy of my faith in the Christian God, and that I could instead easily hold to a view that is completely naturalistic without any appeal to the divine and whereby all the phenomena I needed my previous God to explain were more satisfactorily explained by the positing of naturalism. So I came to believe that the cosmos necessarily exists, that modal realism better addresses the questions of apparent fine-tuning and the questions of necessity vs. contingency, that the modal ontological argument is just an empty argument if you don't assume the existence of God in the first place, that morality is easily explicable without any logical need for God, and that even the deist concept of God suffers logical problems that naturalism does away with easily.

As for reason and volition, these are products of the nervous system and need not be explained by any sort of phenomena external to the human biology. We have very good explanations for how we come to produce reasoned responses, and we can appeal to computer AIs as good analogies to the human mind (except perhaps for the awareness part, which still has naturalistic explanations anyway ... such as panpsychism which I'm still not really sure about but it's there as an option).
(September 15, 2019 at 1:49 pm)Grandizer Wrote: As for reason and volition, these are products of the nervous system and need not be explained by any sort of phenomena external to the human biology. We have very good explanations for how we come to produce reasoned responses, and we can appeal to computer AIs as good analogies to the human mind (except perhaps for the awareness part, which still has naturalistic explanations anyway ... such as panpsychism which I'm still not really sure about but it's there as an option).

Panpsychism is really interesting. I wonder how it is practically different from pantheism, though. If the universe is eternal and possesses psyche, it's like, the universe is a great cosmic mind.
Deism was largely used in pre Darwin times when people didn't want to have anything to do with religion and yet there was no other way to explain the beginnings of life so they had to acknowledge the minimal attributes like prime mover and life force.

But why aren't people today choosing deism instead of Jesus? Some are and these people are called agnostics and some are deists/ agnostics but are not aware of it, like when they speak of God living in another dimension.

But also problem with deists God is that he is very boring and people want God to excite them to hate gay people, people of other religions, who is pro gun, pro nationalism, etcetera.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(September 15, 2019 at 2:06 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Deism was largely used in pre Darwin times when people didn't want to have anything  to do with religion and yet there was no other way to explain the beginnings of life so they had to acknowledge the minimal attributes like prime mover and life force.

But why aren't people today choosing deism instead of Jesus? Some are and these people are called agnostics and some are deists/ agnostics but are not aware of it, like when they speak of God living in another dimension.

But also problem with deists God is that he is very boring and people want God to excite them to hate gay people, people of other religions, who is pro gun, pro nationalism, etcetera.

My understanding is that naturalism does not explain the origin of life, let alone the universe. Deism is an easy shrug that says, OK, so there is something that must exist and is not metaphysically contingent; we don't know what, and we probably never will. Life is short and then you die. Whatever it is that exists will go on without you and doesn't particularly care about you. I guess many agnostics now are actually deists, though they don't really care about the arguments.

Melding politics and God is the bane of religion. Atheists are right to demand a separation of church and state. "Render unto Caesar" etc. Christians were called atheists originally for the same reason, though modernity has inverted the positions.

Great point re: deism is boring. Hadn't thought of that.
(September 15, 2019 at 2:19 pm)Inqwizitor Wrote: My understanding is that naturalism does not explain the origin of life, let alone the universe.

Science has not finished. So for the moment "we don't know but people are working on it" is better than installing some sort of holding belief.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 15, 2019 at 2:30 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(September 15, 2019 at 2:19 pm)Inqwizitor Wrote: My understanding is that naturalism does not explain the origin of life, let alone the universe.

Science has not finished. So for the moment "we don't know but people are working on it" is better than installing some sort of holding belief.

Right. And there are theories about RNA I think, that it is some sort of bridge between inorganic and organic matter (I'm no expert). What I mean is, naturalism does not say why there is anything at all. It's denounced as a meaningless question. Deism doesn't require that kind of eliminative reductionism.
First, we should ask, "Why deism?"

What reason to we have to think there's a god of any kind in the first place?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(September 15, 2019 at 2:54 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: First, we should ask, "Why deism?"

What reason to we have to think there's a god of any kind in the first place?

If we want to really get down to an ontological principle, we should ask, "What is a god?"

That might be the fundamental problem with deism, actually. In that case, though, atheism loses cognitive meaning, as well.

The issue is basically, why is there something rather than nothing? That is at least a reason, if not an entirely convincing one (and to be convinced is subjective anyway), to accept some sort of necessary existent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4963 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Deism: I don't get it robvalue 114 13279 February 16, 2015 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: emilynghiem
  Whats the point of deism? tor 21 6222 March 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3324 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3557 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Refute a first cause which most people would call G-d AKA Deism xdrgnh 63 19840 May 12, 2013 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  WHY WHY WHY??!?!? JUST STOP...... Xyster 18 5157 March 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Zenith