Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for god? Convince me! [CHALLENGE]
Evidence for god? Convince me! [CHALLENGE]
soooooooo no matter what person i debate, the way i see it is, if you cant prove gods existence, then NOTHING you say about, attribute to your god will help you, unless you can prove his existence. in my experience NO ONE has ever convinced me that their god exists and the "evidence" is soooo vague and ignorantly claimed without further thought. Other than me being bored, i challenge any theist to try to convince me that god exists (or YOUR god for that matter...)
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
RE: Evidence for god? Convince me! [CHALLENGE]
If the universe were only a bit differently, life couldn't exist. Many factors have to be correct in order for Stars to really work for example, including subtle resonances in nuclear scattering, so obviously somebody knew what they were doing when the laws of nature were chosen. The anthropic principle is obviously ndo defence because in order for it to explain anything, you need many univereses with different laws, and there's no proof for that either Big Grin
As for which God is the right one, since we are obviously the dominant and smartest species in the known universe, whoever made it is probably like us. That makes the judeo-christian god the perfect candidate, although some others are also raving lunatics, so it's hard to decide.
There is no evidence. Pack up, and go home mate.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(March 16, 2014 at 3:44 am)Alex K Wrote: If the universe were only a bit differently, life couldn't exist. Many factors have to be correct in order for Stars to really work for example, including subtle resonances in nuclear scattering, so obviously somebody knew what they were doing when the laws of nature were chosen. The anthropic principle is obviously ndo defence because in order for it to explain anything, you need many univereses with different laws, and there's no proof for that either Big Grin
As for which God is the right one, since we are obviously the dominant and smartest species in the known universe, whoever made it is probably like us. That makes the judeo-christian god the perfect candidate, although some others are also raving lunatics, so it's hard to decide.

but how do you know he exists? you just claim him to be, but you dont prove it. have you seen him? as for the universe stuff, we dont know what the universe would be like if it was constructed in a different way, we would have to re learn how it works if we were to live in that so called "other universe", but how does that prove the existense of that god?

what people do is this
"oh i dont know how this could have happened, therefore im going to make up some guy to be in charge of it, and ill call hime God!"
and thats where Zeus and Posideon came in. same concept...
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
Here's the thing. I only know one person who became a Christian because the examined the evidence and decided that was the best / most likely explanation. All the rest, myself included, became Christian because they had an experience they attributed to God. Then, because biblical Christianity requires such mental gymnastics / faith to make it work, they set about looking for evidence to justify / confirm their beliefs.

Asking for evidence of Christianity is like asking for evidence that a fillet steak is tasty. You won't find anyone who will be able to offer you much.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(March 16, 2014 at 4:42 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Here's the thing. I only know one person who became a Christian because the examined the evidence and decided that was the best / most likely explanation. All the rest, myself included, became Christian because they had an experience they attributed to God. Then, because biblical Christianity requires such mental gymnastics / faith to make it work, they set about looking for evidence to justify / confirm their beliefs.

Asking for evidence of Christianity is like asking for evidence that a fillet steak is tasty. You won't find anyone who will be able to offer you much.

so there is no evidence then... so why believe it to be a god? why the need of one?
xR34P3Rx
You mean why attribute those experiences to a God? Different reasons for different people suppose. Social pressure is not a small one. Sense of belonging. The fulfillment of a psychological need. Or even that it's a more palatable that considering yourself to be crazy. None of the above make it true but they all make it a much more attractive explanation.
Sith code
(March 16, 2014 at 5:12 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: You mean why attribute those experiences to a God? Different reasons for different people suppose. Social pressure is not a small one. Sense of belonging. The fulfillment of a psychological need. Or even that it's a more palatable that considering yourself to be crazy. None of the above make it true but they all make it a much more attractive explanation.

just because something is more "attractive" of an explanation doesnt make it true, i care what is true and if thats what people think, then they must not care about truth and are ignorant...
xR34P3Rx
(March 16, 2014 at 5:18 am)xr34p3rx Wrote:
(March 16, 2014 at 5:12 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: You mean why attribute those experiences to a God? Different reasons for different people suppose. Social pressure is not a small one. Sense of belonging. The fulfillment of a psychological need. Or even that it's a more palatable that considering yourself to be crazy. None of the above make it true but they all make it a much more attractive explanation.

just because something is more "attractive" of an explanation doesnt make it true,

Yes, I'm aware of that Rolleyes. That's not what you asked though. The question was why people believe those experiences to be God not why is it true. If the question was why should YOU believe in God then I'm afraid I can't help you. Perhaps you shouldn't.

Quote: i care what is true and if thats what people think, then they must not care about truth and are ignorant...

Yeah, you tell em! Big Grin you intellectual badass you!
Sith code
It's dishonest to demand definite 100% proof, sine that is not what we rely on anywhere. The question must be:is it more likely than not that a god exists.

Also, science absolutely allows us to ask what if questions - what if the quarks were a bit heavier, what if the fine structure constant were 1/200, what if there were no dark energy. One can clearly say that many of those would not permit chemistry or even atoms, let alone working stars. It would just be a formless soup of photons and protons, if they even exist.
(March 16, 2014 at 3:55 am)xr34p3rx Wrote:
(March 16, 2014 at 3:44 am)Alex K Wrote: If the universe were only a bit differently, life couldn't exist. Many factors have to be correct in order for Stars to really work for example, including subtle resonances in nuclear scattering, so obviously somebody knew what they were doing when the laws of nature were chosen. The anthropic principle is obviously ndo defence because in order for it to explain anything, you need many univereses with different laws, and there's no proof for that either Big Grin

but how do you know he exists? you just claim him to be, but you dont prove it. have you seen him? as for the universe stuff, we dont know what the universe would be like if it was constructed in a different way, we would have to re learn how it works if we were to live in that so called "other universe", but how does that prove the existense of that god?

what people do is this
"oh i dont know how this could have happened, therefore im going to make up some guy to be in charge of it, and ill call hime God!"
and thats where Zeus and Posideon came in. same concept...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm a Universalist - Can anyone convince me of 'Eternal Damnationism'? The Kreisel 16 1361 February 26, 2021 at 3:02 am
Last Post: beepete
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4540 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 36990 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 27573 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20087 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 5981 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 236219 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 132085 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Convince me dyresand 58 9970 December 3, 2015 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 87536 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris