Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman
Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman
Sometimes it's good to have a conversation with a non believer because you learn certain things from them and they learn certain things from you because you're both open minded and you both have a good conversation.

Other times some people are just close minded, they don't care about having a conversation, they're just there to show their "dominance" over you with comments that degrade virgin Mary, how you're too weak minded to be believing in "made up stories", or just to poke fun at you. Well, you can tell these assholes asking for evidence of God is silly according to their own standards. Why?

Because it's a strawman fallacy. How?

Only scientific textbooks needs to provide scientific evidence.

Nowhere in the Bible does it claim to be a scientific textbook, it's a religious textbook and it's called the Christian faith not the Christian science.

So when someone asks for scientific evidence they themselves are asserting that Bible is a scientific textbook(which it never claimed) and then asks for evidence(which it doesn't have to present).

So next time someone just wants to shut you down, you can do the same thing to them. Ask them to show where in the bible it claims to be a scientific textbook and then you'll give the scientific evidence.

The most obvious reply will be "So if Bible isn't scientific it isn't real is it lolololol". You can use the same trick atheists use(It's not that I DON'T believe in God or claim God doesn't exist, I just reject the claim). Just reply "I never claimed Bible isn't scientific, I just reject your claim that Bible is scientific because you didn't provide any evidence to back it up"

Obviously only use this against assholes that just want to mock and belittle you, having a discussion is always good but some people are just assholes that doesn't deserve a decent conversation and it also doesn't hurt to have a bigger arsenal.
RE: Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman
Pooley, the bible isn't a scientific book, neither is Lord of the rings.
But for some silly reason theists treat the bible and koran as non fiction.
There lies the problem.
It's called indoctrination. It bypasses all logic circuits to protect the embedded fantasy.
It's not rocket science...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Evidence isn’t restricted to science, despite what you say.
Also, you mocking others who belittle...hypocrite much?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Am I missing something?

It seems to me that the only reason why one would even talk about evidence for the existence of God would be due to expectations of non-spontaneous belief.

The strawman, therefore, comes from those expectations, which fail to consider that people are entitled to simply disregard theistic belief.
Morituri Delendi!
(November 9, 2017 at 1:21 am)pool the matey Wrote: Other times some people are just close minded, they don't care about having a conversation, they're just there to show their "dominance" over you with comments that degrade virgin Mary, how you're too weak minded to be believing in "made up stories", or just to poke fun at you. Well, you can tell these assholes asking for evidence of God is silly according to their own standards. Why?

This is a strawman.

Are you sure you understand what a strawman is ?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

No.

We ask for evidence when theists want us to believe what they believe.

But they expect us to take their word for their claims.
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 9, 2017 at 5:51 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: No.

We ask for evidence when theists want us to believe what they believe.

But they expect us to take their word for their claims.

I was just going to post:

"Dafuq?"

but you fleshed it out WAY better.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I agree, the bible is in no way scientific.

Here is a book that dictates to us how we should think, behave and live our lives, all on the say so of some undefined supernatural being.

I'm at a loss to why people would want to see evidence for the existence of such a being, I mean, how can you read the bible and not believe?
(November 9, 2017 at 6:19 am)Cod Wrote: I agree, the bible is in no way scientific.

Here is a book that dictates to us how we should think, behave and live our lives, all on the say so of some undefined supernatural being.

I'm at a loss to why people would want to see evidence for the existence of such a being, I mean, how can you read the bible Book of Mormon and not believe?

TFTFY
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 9, 2017 at 5:43 am)pgrimes15 Wrote:
(November 9, 2017 at 1:21 am)pool the matey Wrote: Other times some people are just close minded, they don't care about having a conversation, they're just there to show their "dominance" over you with comments that degrade virgin Mary, how you're too weak minded to be believing in "made up stories", or just to poke fun at you. Well, you can tell these assholes asking for evidence of God is silly according to their own standards. Why?

This is a strawman.

Are you sure you understand what a strawman is ?

I think he's experimenting with some new nested strawman fallacy algorithms?

Hey Pooley, have you really turned to the dark side? Are you really subscribing to a foreign imported religion called Christianity? What's wrong with home grown?
I'm still with Zeus here ..gotta be true to your culture man. (and since they're all equally bullshite, no difference anyway, right?) Didn't Zeus have a bigger cock? Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4609 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Stop Asking Me to Go to Church with You Rhondazvous 27 2878 May 13, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3923 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37825 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20245 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6021 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3374 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 238571 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 133725 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I don't get God's logic at all ErGingerbreadMandude 7 1940 June 2, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4