Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sartre: I Don't Get Him
Sartre: I Don't Get Him
I tried recently to get into Sartre, just like I tried with Nietzche some time ago.
I (sort of) understood where Nietzche was coming from, although there are a lot of ideas of his that rubbed me the wrong way. Imagine my relief when I read in a biography about him that he was basically what I would call an unhappy looser, who couldn't really live up to his own ideas.
This made me especially happy since sometimes, I couldn't understand what he was talking about. Nothing worth understanding anyway, I try to tell myself...

Now I've been trying with Sartre. Its like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. I just finished reading some of his plays. One of his most famous ones is called 'No Exit' and if you're interested in philosophy, I'm pretty shure you've heard of it.
Now the play was quite interesting. I felt pretty certain I had interpreted some of Sartre's symbolism correctly, but when I read the analysis of the play...
Let's just say the problem wasn't just that my interpretation of it didn't match the analysis by some philosophy expert -- I didn't even understand the analysis.
I read an article some time ago. Basically it said that there are only a handful of people left alive in the entire world who understand Sartre. I have no idea if that is really true, but it is a comforting though. I would have liked to link to it here, but I could not find it in the cloud.

Is there anyone here who understands Sartre? If so, please explain his ideas to me as you would to a child...

RE: Sartre: I Don't Get Him
Try reading Being & Nothingness. You might find that illuminating.
(March 24, 2014 at 11:31 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Try reading Being & Nothingness. You might find that illuminating.
All right. I'll look into that! Thanks.

Nietzche is peachy, but Sartre is smartre.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 24, 2014 at 11:31 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Try reading Being & Nothingness. You might find that illuminating.

I'm working through this over the summer hopefully. Just from flipping through it though it seems like heavy reading. I hope I can wrap my mind around it :\
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
I found Camus and Beckett far more approachable as an introduction to The Absurd than Sartre.
I am like God and God like me.
I am as Large as God, He is as small as I.
He cannot above me, nor I beneath him be. - Angelus Silesius

"From each according to their motherfucking ability bitches and to each according to their goddam need fuckers. Which part of The Word you fuckers don't get?" - Jesus
(March 24, 2014 at 8:21 pm)GirlyMan Wrote: I found Camus and Beckett far more approachable as an introduction to The Absurd than Sartre.
I don't know Beckett, but I can vouch for Camus. Nice, simple reading. Sartre reading has much more density, and is much slower going, IMO.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Should Tell Him...Nah, He's Pretty Old. lezbehonest 11 1465 August 10, 2014 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Diablo
  Does belief in God make him real? DrDolittle 22 6135 October 18, 2011 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Wandiowns223