Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing God
Playing God
I've heard this said before, mostly when it comes to cloning. Trying to make a person in a tube, which is bad because surely it wouldn't have a "soul". Only God is allowed to create things.

Which is pretty silly. We're already godlike compared to people living thousands of years ago, just as those people are godlike compared to people who lived thousands of years before them. Lightning was believed to come from the sky because Zeus or Thor or whatever was throwing bolts around. I've met people today that think lightning comes from God. Yet we have studied and harnessed it, and called it electricity.

This thread isn't just about cloning. It's more about the mundane things we see and do that would be considered the realm of gods by people in the past. It's like one movie where witches are fascinated when a teenager "summons fire in his hands" with a lighter, and "summons rain" indoors when he uses it to activate the sprinklers.

To me, the idea of anyone playing god sounds silly. If it's possible, then obviously it's not just the domain of the gods. Meddling in things beyond our comprehension can lead to bad things, but it won't ever be within our conversation unless we experiment with it. And knowledge is the main strength of our species.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Playing God
Usually uttered by hypocrites
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 2, 2014 at 6:24 pm)Chad32 Wrote: And knowledge is the main strength of our species.
And knowledge rightly applied becomes wisdom - when will our species attain that?

PS...

I'm pretty sure that lightning comes from clouds Thinking
(April 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm)ShaMan Wrote:
(April 2, 2014 at 6:24 pm)Chad32 Wrote: And knowledge is the main strength of our species.
And knowledge rightly applied becomes wisdom - when will our species attain that?

PS...

I'm pretty sure that lightning comes from clouds Thinking

That sometimes takes a while. Often when whatever resource we're pissing away starts to run out, but not always. Knowledge is common. Wisdom is rare.

Lightning comes from clouds. That are stood on by Zeus, who is throwing lightning bolts at trees. Sometimes he misses, and hits a church, which is on a hill and has a tall steeple, and the congregation has a revival.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I once played God. Beat him in straight sets.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 2, 2014 at 6:40 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I once played God. Beat him in straight sets.

Boru

I get the feeling he was letting you win...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(April 2, 2014 at 6:42 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(April 2, 2014 at 6:40 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I once played God. Beat him in straight sets.

Boru

I get the feeling he was letting you win...

Pfft. Bugger's got no backhand.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've tried playing god before, but I find it difficult not to exist.

Confused Fall
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 2, 2014 at 6:46 pm)Beccs Wrote: I've tried playing god before, but I find it difficult not to exist.

Confused Fall

I've heard acid does that for you sometimes...

I'm fine with cloning. If it's allowed to make humans by the random means of conception then it should be allowed to make em with more controlled means. I am for genetic engineering also they can eradicate diseases and all the other junk which comes along from evolution.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gene drives are we playing god? Coveny 23 3161 April 4, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ex-Christian Secular Musicians Out There Playing Christmas Music? LivingNumbers6.626 34 6308 December 3, 2014 at 10:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19448 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie