Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Christian Secular Musicians Out There Playing Christmas Music?
Ex-Christian Secular Musicians Out There Playing Christmas Music?
Though being secular, I can't bring myself away from Christmas music. Both the secular and religious.

The music holds the magic of old, the time of fantasy and mischief, and the only legit positive times in my religious history.

I think the music is beautiful and being a musician, I can't help but start playing that stuff again.

Any other ex-christian secular musicians out there have this guilty pleasure?

This stuff get's me so amped that if a church asked me to perform, I would. One, it would feel so good to be an atheist, playing Angels We Have Heard on High, and two, could lead to some positive exposure. Yes, I'm an opportunist but I see no harm in Christmas carols.

I guess you could say I am a cultural Christian during Christmas. But you know, without feeling all the guilt and responsibility to preach the word. Other than that, Christmas cookies, Christmas cards, and Christmas MUSIC!!!

********Just got done playing piano and was feeling that good vibe, know what I mean? haha
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Ex-Christian Secular Musicians Out There Playing Christmas Music?
There is money to be made out of delusional people music is one great way.
but i guess playing christian music even though your a ex-christian and secular
is kind of contradictory.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I personally love Christmas. There are only two things I dislike about it; the first is that women stop wearing sandals when they go out (I live in Chicago), and the second is the music, mostly because of the fact that on Christmas radio there seem to be less than 100 different songs repeated ad nauseam for months on end. It's really saying something that of all the Christmas songs to have caught on to any meaningful degree in the quarter of a century since I was born, the best was written by Justin Motherfucking Bieber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjn3RpkcKY

And if anyone is disgusted that I just used "best" and "Justin Bieber" in the same sentence, don't be alarmed. That is only a sign that you are still sane. I myself feel bile hemorrhaging throughout my entire body at what I have just done.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(November 30, 2014 at 12:21 am)dyresand Wrote: There is money to be made out of delusional people music is one great way.

It certainly is! But there is something about Christmas music that gets me jazzed. But perhaps it comes down to the way I was raised. Christmas really had very little to do with Jesus. Imagine that?! Except the music, which was illusive as a child, was the only thing within my household that emphasized some Jesus dude...oh and the nativity set. But other than that and church meetings, Christmas was all about Santa, food, family, and presents. haha.

(November 30, 2014 at 12:22 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I personally love Christmas. There are only two things I dislike about it; the first is that women stop wearing sandals when they go out (I live in Chicago), and the second is the music, mostly because of the fact that on Christmas radio there seem to be less than 100 different songs repeated ad nauseam for months on end. It's really saying something that of all the Christmas songs to have caught on to any meaningful degree in the quarter of a century since I was born, the best was written by Justin Motherfucking Bieber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjn3RpkcKY

And if anyone is disgusted that I just used "best" and "Justin Bieber" in the same sentence, don't be alarmed. That is only a sign that you are still sane. I myself feel bile hemorrhaging throughout my entire body at what I have just done.

Hahaha, I can't help but agree with you. Christmas music does get pretty repetitious, but I don't touch the stuff till thanksgiving day and abandon it the 26th of December. But I love all the different renditions and interpretations of any one particular Christmas song. There's a lot to improvise!
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
Well for variety (hopefully) visit the newly created seasonal playlist Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The last thing I enjoyed about our traditional family Christmas was my Ave Maria solo in church every year. For me, it's more of a community thing than a religious one...

... and I got my ego stroked a bit Angel
Not an ex-chritian...but I sing and play alot of hymns and gospel (and yeah, christmas music). Good song is a good song. I don't know Jennys mom...and I've certainly never thrown my leg over an old man just to oblige him...but I've been known to belt both out. Not much difference between that and Silent Night or Three Kings...to my mind.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 30, 2014 at 12:21 am)dyresand Wrote: There is money to be made out of delusional people music is one great way.

Depends on what you call christian music. If we'd ban so called christian music from our lives, we would miss out on some of the greatest pieces of classical music. A good chunk of Mozart's work would be a no go, just to give one example.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 30, 2014 at 12:22 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I personally love Christmas. There are only two things I dislike about it; the first is that women stop wearing sandals when they go out (I live in Chicago), and the second is the music, mostly because of the fact that on Christmas radio there seem to be less than 100 different songs repeated ad nauseam for months on end.
Hold on. What part of Chicago do you live in? Because where I'm at the women stop wearing sandals long before Christmas Wink (Except for those occasional kite flying temperature days we get in November)

And I'm with you on the radio. What station is that, the Lite, that starts early? I'm honestly surprised they haven't started on July 5th, figuring that Independence Day is the end of summer so they might as well start cranking out the Christmas tunes.
(November 30, 2014 at 9:25 am)LostLocke Wrote: Hold on. What part of Chicago do you live in? Because where I'm at the women stop wearing sandals long before Christmas Wink (Except for those occasional kite flying temperature days we get in November)

And I'm with you on the radio. What station is that, the Lite, that starts early? I'm honestly surprised they haven't started on July 5th, figuring that Independence Day is the end of summer so they might as well start cranking out the Christmas tunes.
I actually live on the North Shore. And yes, I am talking about The Lite.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gene drives are we playing god? Coveny 23 3157 April 4, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thank ALLAH that the pagan holiday of CHRISTMAS is over! 21stCenturyIconoclast 62 8386 December 30, 2016 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Joods
  JW Christmas card ignoramus 12 2661 December 23, 2015 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Religious people - Which music is pure? Dystopia 59 9400 June 26, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Do you celebrate christmas??? jem304eyer 16 2548 December 22, 2014 at 3:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Skip church for Christmas Foxaèr 48 6431 December 9, 2014 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
  Secular Humanism is now a "religion" Foxaèr 10 2204 November 7, 2014 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  How many of you are secular? Gooders1002 23 4264 April 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  Playing God Chad32 12 2007 April 3, 2014 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Can you recommend some anti-religion music? YoureSpeakingMumboJumbo 64 13242 November 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Dionysius