Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:14 pm

Poll: Is there merit in a utilitarian approach to killing? Is a short life better than none? Infants acquire (most, a large portion, very little) of their worth by virtue of their arduous production proce
This poll is closed.
yes, yes, most
0%
0 0%
yes, yes, a large portion
0%
0 0%
yes, yes, very little
0%
0 0%
yes, no, most
0%
0 0%
yes, no, a large portion
0%
0 0%
yes, no, very little
100.00%
1 100.00%
no, yes, most
0%
0 0%
no, yes, a large portion
0%
0 0%
no, yes, very little
0%
0 0%
no, no, most
0%
0 0%
no, no, a large portion
0%
0 0%
no, no, very little
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
killing = taking away life
killing = taking away life
From a utilitarian perspective, taking away a life is bad if the life taken was or would be a good life. By this same reasoning, giving life is good if that life will be a good life, and it is better to give and take a life than to not give life at all. Other concerns—the emotional hurt of friends, the removal of a parent/guardian, the silencing of a voice, or the loss of an important individual—don't apply as universally as this.

By bringing forth a life, you are garunteeing that it will die, but this does not negate the value of bringing forth the life. Our punishments however do not have to be based on the overall impact of a person's actions. If you steal back from the poor that which you gave them, we can still punish you. Similarly, we can punish a woman who kills her own infant painlessly. Considering that infant production is long, arduous, and painful, perhaps infants have value by virtue of how difficult it is to make them. Therefore we could consider it extremely wasteful to kill them, even painlessly.

This also has implications for vegetarianism as it relates to livestock welfare. While it would be better if the animals weren't killed, they were born specifically because people wanted to eat them. This shifts the welfare argument for vegetarianism toward quality of life. If a life will be of terrible quality, then it may be better that the life never starts or is ended prematurely.
RE: killing = taking away life
Too. . . many. . . choices!
That's just because you're answering three question instead of one.

They're all multiple choice. Smile
Well, that's the most confusing poll I've seen in a while...
It's just a permutation the set of all combinations!
Quote:By this same reasoning, giving life is good if that life will be a good life,

I take it you never saw "The City on the Edge of Forever?" From the original Star Trek?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_on...of_Forever
What is the utilitarian approach to killing?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Off topic, sorry:

Quote:Muslim Scholar wrote

Quote:
I think my words is too professional for common people to understand

I'm wondering what his dumbing down his words would look like. Thinking

as you were.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(April 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm)paulpablo Wrote: What is the utilitarian approach to killing?

Wikipedia - Utilitarianism
Utilitarianism is a theory in normative ethics holding that the proper course of action is the one that maximizes utility, usually defined as maximizing happiness and reducing suffering.

Since life is a source of happiness, preserving it (or creating it) is generally aligned with utilitarian ethics. Read the opening post.

(April 17, 2014 at 8:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:By this same reasoning, giving life is good if that life will be a good life,

I take it you never saw "The City on the Edge of Forever?" From the original Star Trek?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_on...of_Forever

I don't follow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15363 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4097 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist