Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.Atheism+ and similar ideologies
1.Atheism+ and similar ideologies
I would like to address a important problem within the rational and skeptical community.This problem is about the need for community especially for people who are fresh out of religion,and how that need causes that person to fall into communities that are similar to religion.Unfortunately humans will always seek someone or something to belong to and as a result,a person will never be able to freely express themselves to others because they fear being outcasted by the group whos company they have come to rely on for support.Pz myers and freethought blogs do just this.They take people who have freshly left religion but are in need of community.They offer it in exchange you must pledge your loyalty to them and join there cause.Individuals who are in the group are reluctant to "bite the hand that feeds them" and pretend simply agree so they can avoid criticism and being disowned by the group.Another issue i have with them is they try to force people to subscribe to certain world views in order to be an atheist.This only lends fuel to theists who claim atheism is a religion.

I want to hear your thoughts on this and tell me where iam wrong if you find flaws.
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

RE: 1.Atheism+ and similar ideologies
I forget what Atheism+ is exactly but, generally speaking, yes atheist/humanist groups tend to be politically left-liberal. Yes, it is nauseating if you're an atheist who is not so rabidly pro-diversity and pro-freakery. Yes, it's hard if you're an atheist who is more nationalist than globalist. It's even hell if you're an atheist who likes government to balance their budgets, defend their borders, uphold the goddamn constitution, not persecute tea-party groups via the IRS, defend foreign consulates like Benghazi, etc, etc.

Wow, didn't realise how much pent-up frustration I have as a conservative (centrist actually) atheist. What was your question? Oh yeah, there are no atheist/humanist groups for people who are not insane liberals. Correct. But then it is getting harder to express conservative views for *anyone*, not just atheists. Remember, liberals can't argue, hence they have to silence you via other means.

So, what specifically don't you like about Atheism+ and PZ?

Oh yeah, read The Righteous Mind by Professor Jonathan Haidt, it's all about the groupthink you're talking about.
Here's a taste of Haidt (who was a liberal atheist, but is now more centrist/conservative after studying moral psychology):

The moral roots of liberals and conservatives - Jonathan Haidt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SOQduoLgRw

Haidt describes morality as like a matrix (yes, the movie) i.e. morality binds and blinds us.
(May 3, 2014 at 4:40 am)Mothonis_Cathicgal Wrote: I want to hear your thoughts on this and tell me where iam wrong if you find flaws.
Becoming an atheist doesn't change the mental and psychological needs we have developed over our lives and which affect pretty much everyone in some way. Above all we have a desire to fit in and be accepted by the group, as would be expected of creatures who thrive in social groups and community settings. Freeing yourself from religion doesn't free you from the desire to act religious, that is, to seek out a tribe to belong to.

I'm not defending or attacking Atheism+, as I know very little about it and have not been exposed to whatever it is they are doing right or wrong. They may simply be drawing the same boundary lines we tend to draw as social creatures, without realizing it (or for marketing purposes, perhaps they do realize it). It might even be beneficial in helping those who are having a hard time dealing with their new-found atheism make the transition to a more self-confident view of themselves, I dunno.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 3, 2014 at 5:24 am)mralstoner Wrote: I forget what Atheism+ is exactly but, generally speaking, yes atheist/humanist groups tend to be politically left-liberal. Yes, it is nauseating if you're an atheist who is not so rabidly pro-diversity and pro-freakery. Yes, it's hard if you're an atheist who is more nationalist than globalist. It's even hell if you're an atheist who likes government to balance their budgets, defend their borders, uphold the goddamn constitution, not persecute tea-party groups via the IRS, defend foreign consulates like Benghazi, etc, etc.

Wow, didn't realise how much pent-up frustration I have as a conservative (centrist actually) atheist. What was your question? Oh yeah, there are no atheist/humanist groups for people who are not insane liberals. Correct. But then it is getting harder to express conservative views for *anyone*, not just atheists. Remember, liberals can't argue, hence they have to silence you via other means.

Oh yeah, read The Righteous Mind by Professor Jonathan Haidt, it's all about the groupthink you're talking about.
Here's a taste of Haidt (who was a liberal atheist, but is now more centrist/conservative after studying moral psychology):

Haidt describes morality as like a matrix (yes, the movie) i.e. morality binds and blinds us.
I am not a conservative either but being an atheist shouldn't mean having to be either one.
(May 3, 2014 at 8:01 am)Tonus Wrote:
(May 3, 2014 at 4:40 am)Mothonis_Cathicgal Wrote: I want to hear your thoughts on this and tell me where iam wrong if you find flaws.
Becoming an atheist doesn't change the mental and psychological needs we have developed over our lives and which affect pretty much everyone in some way. Above all we have a desire to fit in and be accepted by the group, as would be expected of creatures who thrive in social groups and community settings. Freeing yourself from religion doesn't free you from the desire to act religious, that is, to seek out a tribe to belong to.

Yes thats why people should try and fight the urge to fit in and be themselves.The problem with Pz myers and Atheism+ is that you are required to believe everything they believe or your labled as a rapist or a woman hater.You aren't allowed to criticise anything they believe.

(May 3, 2014 at 5:24 am)mralstoner Wrote: I forget what Atheism+ is exactly but, generally speaking, yes atheist/humanist groups tend to be politically left-liberal. Yes, it is nauseating if you're an atheist who is not so rabidly pro-diversity and pro-freakery. Yes, it's hard if you're an atheist who is more nationalist than globalist. It's even hell if you're an atheist who likes government to balance their budgets, defend their borders, uphold the goddamn constitution, not persecute tea-party groups via the IRS, defend foreign consulates like Benghazi, etc, etc.

I found the TED talk interesting and agreed with a lot of it. Understanding the conservative/liberal divide in a non-partisan manner is an interest of mine. I remain decidedly liberal, tolerant and open to new stuff but this is an interesting way to wrap my head around what drives conservatives morally.
I agree with Tonus that a lot of the social needs that are fulfilled by church fellowship leave a vacuum when one leaves. I also am opposed personally to any sort of atheist church, where one makes any sort of declaration of faith (or lack thereof) or performs any rites or rituals, even under the premise that there is no god. Not for me.

I do love being involved in my local atheist community, though. I am in the Nashville Atheists meetup group. They do hikes, 'Bowling with the Heathens,' 'Karaoke with the Heathens,' (they like the Heathens trope), dinners, singles events, all of it.

It must be said: I've never been a Christian. I'd never had the feeling like I was not a minority. The first time I actually was in the majority---was nearly overwhelming. You don't know what you're missing if you don't do something organized with a group of atheists.

My first even was a baby BBQ... just so much fun. Rolleyes
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 3, 2014 at 6:41 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I agree with Tonus that a lot of the social needs that are fulfilled by church fellowship leave a vacuum when one leaves. I also am opposed personally to any sort of atheist church, where one makes any sort of declaration of faith (or lack thereof) or performs any rites or rituals, even under the premise that there is no god. Not for me.

I do love being involved in my local atheist community, though. I am in the Nashville Atheists meetup group. They do hikes, 'Bowling with the Heathens,' 'Karaoke with the Heathens,' (they like the Heathens trope), dinners, singles events, all of it.

It must be said: I've never been a Christian. I'd never had the feeling like I was not a minority. The first time I actually was in the majority---was nearly overwhelming. You don't know what you're missing if you don't do something organized with a group of atheists.

My first even was a baby BBQ... just so much fun. Rolleyes

It sounds great,being with a community is fine so long its not one that demands you believe everything they say and welcomes individuals.I would love to but Coolidge doesn't have Atheist groups. Sad

You sure? Tried meetup.com?

There's one in Phoenix, assuming that you're in Coolidge, AZ.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Not philosophy.
(May 3, 2014 at 8:29 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: You sure? Tried meetup.com?

There's one in Phoenix, assuming that you're in Coolidge, AZ.
Its not easy for me to get out of town.

(May 3, 2014 at 10:40 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Not philosophy.
Really?Isn't beliefs about whats good and bad philosophical?