Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL FANS.
NFL FANS.
So far cant find a damned story on Michael Sam and the draft is on day 2. This guy was slated for the first round long before he came out as gay. Stories are even showing he got an endorsement from Visa. Why would Visa endorse him if he doesn't get drafted?

Anyone who keeps up with NFL can you keep me posted, not seeing a thing.
RE: NFL FANS.
(May 9, 2014 at 1:13 pm)Brian37 Wrote: So far cant find a damned story on Michael Sam and the draft is on day 2. This guy was slated for the first round long before he came out as gay. Stories are even showing he got an endorsement from Visa. Why would Visa endorse him if he doesn't get drafted?

Anyone who keeps up with NFL can you keep me posted, not seeing a thing.

Hard to find. It's Fox Sports so the comments under the article are predictable. The consensus is that he is trapped between NFL requirements for linebackers and linemen. He hasn't been mentioned going in the first round since well before the combines. I think he'll get drafted, but his combine performances don't merit a high draft pick that usually go to immediate impact players or quarterbacks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/kansas-city/sto...ted-050714
Michael Sam was considered a mid-rounds pick before he told the press about his sexual orientation. That's actually what makes it such a potentially unfair situation for both him and the league. If he was a consensus first-round pick then teams would be ripe for criticism if they passed on him, especially if he addressed a particular weakness for any of them. But he was considered a 4th or 5th round pick (3rd round was as kind as draft prognosticators went, if I am not mistaken).

No team will want to pick him early, because they'll face criticism for making a "public relations pick" and if he fails to make the roster they'll be criticized for cutting him. I think that the NFL is hoping he doesn't get drafted too low, or there might be criticism that his sexual orientation was used against him. Better for him to get picked in one of those mid rounds (6th at the latest) by a team that gives him a shot to compete and can afford to keep him on the roster for at least a couple of years if he doesn't turn out to be a starter. Ideally, he gets picked in those mid rounds and goes on to a solid NFL career and another stereotype finally bites the dust.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
He's fallen off the boards. He's not even in people's top 100 any more after his combine and pro day workouts. He has monstrous talent, great upside, but he's raw and undersized at DE in a 4-3, and not fast enough or good enough in coverage as an OLB in a 3-4. He's just one of those tweeners with not enough athleticism to make up for his lack of place in pro defenses.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
That doesn't make any sense. This guy was touted to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have seen far more players without the controversy be touted the same way and once in go down in flames. Heeth Shuller was supposed to be the Redskins fix but turned out to be a 19 million dollar dolt.

I don't think this has to do with his talent. I think this has everything to do with homophobia. Punter Cris Kluwe got booted from the league despite his productivity because of his support of gays and atheists.
I'm not aware that he was ever considered that highly by any scouts. I don't recall hearing anything about him until he announced that he was gay. Top NFL draft prospects are getting media hype at least a year in advance and sometimes two or more years, as they start to appear on mock draft lists and as 'future projections.'
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Re: RE: NFL FANS.
(May 9, 2014 at 2:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote: That doesn't make any sense. This guy was touted to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have seen far more players without the controversy be touted the same way and once in go down in flames. Heeth Shuller was supposed to be the Redskins fix but turned out to be a 19 million dollar dolt.

I don't think this has to do with his talent. I think this has everything to do with homophobia. Punter Cris Kluwe got booted from the league despite his productivity because of his support of gays and atheists.

He was highly touted, but not said to be the best DE. Clowney, khalil mack, ealey...those were the guys that were touted this year. Sam was an all American, second team SEC, and not even the best defensive lineman on his team. I am a VERY involved NFL fan, and I never heard that he was supposed to be a 1st or even 2nd rounder. I've always seen him rated as a 3-5 round pick.

I think he got a lot of coverage because of coming out, and got hyped a lot more than any mid rounder should or normally does.
I don't think so. Like I have said I have seen guys without his "controversy" get drafted 1rst round to peter out first season.
But where did you hear he was 1st round material? I never read that or heard that on any show.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
How many defensive players were picked in the first round? About a dozen?

Even *if* he was one of the NCAA's best prospects he could still easily have been passed over in the first round. His combine performance suggests that he perhaps was not one of the best prospects.

I wouldn't be so quick to call homophobia just yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Unofficial NFL Thread Brian37 158 8560 March 11, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How could I miss this rule for 55 years in the NFL? Brian37 14 1671 December 1, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Questions and Observations for American Football Fans Brian37 75 5214 November 1, 2021 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  CFL VS NFL..... Brian37 28 2962 August 28, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Abusive sports fans. 0P Brian37 20 1766 June 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone watching the NFL draft? Brian37 11 1109 May 2, 2021 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  NFL Pro Bowl Brian37 0 271 January 31, 2021 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Ok sports fans, no matter the sport........ Brian37 7 524 December 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm
  NFL and Covid....... Cam Newton..... Brian37 2 439 October 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm
  Any baseball fans? Dingo 3 373 September 29, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Dingo