Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
# 1 Goal For Humankind
# 1 Goal For Humankind
As an atheist i get asked all the time what my goals are. What i think human kind should thrive for.. Mostly sarcastically by douche bag religious people with a chip on their shoulder but it's still a question none the less.

My answer to what i think human kind should thrive for? Well.. I think our number one goal as HUMANS (not republicans.. liberals.. democrats.. etc) should be to explore space. Looking at pictures and really seeing the scope of the universe and whats out there is astonishing. We look at these things as if it's impossible.. but i think if we had some sort of global program. That anyone could join and work for, all working towards the goal of cryogenics, understanding space and how to move through it, and also building these machines and such. I think it would give a ton of people a new found purpose in life.. They would be fed, housed and free to leave when they wanted. I know i for one would sign up.

Who knows what is out there? whole civilizations.. different forms of energy.. plus we would have a plan B when earth is used up. I guess in my mind i only have so long on this planet.. I want things to evolve so i can actually see these things! I hate waiting around for everyone else to get on board. I understand that some people are content with just living their everyday lives as same as the day before.. but im not. Im sorry i don't think a .00000002" thinner phone is important. Once upon a time we thought traveling faster than the speed of sound was impossible yet.. here we are. Imagine if we had everyone working on a global project.. all working towards the same goal.. I don't think anything would or could stand in our way.. except maybe an asteroid.. or a black hole.. but you know what i mean.

So i know i may sound crazy but thats truly my thoughts on things. My question for you guys is the same..

What should humankind's number 1 goal be?

I posted this in the Atheist thread because i want to know what fellow atheists think.. I already know what religious peoples answer would be therefore i don't care about their answer.
In a universe full of infinite possibilities what can happen, will happen.
RE: # 1 Goal For Humankind
I believe in baby steps. Currently, I would settle for humanity to strive at recognizing same-sex marriage as legal.

Since universally recognized same-sex marriage is most likely going to be an inevitability, no matter how much time humanity is wasting fighting it, my ultimate number one goal for mankind would be for mythology to be recognized simply as that rather than anything bearing any resemblance to truthful knowledge.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 10, 2014 at 11:21 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I believe in baby steps. Currently, I would settle for humanity to strive at recognizing same-sex marriage as legal.

Since universally recognized same-sex marriage is most likely going to be an inevitability, no matter how much time humanity is wasting fighting it, my ultimate number one goal for mankind would be for mythology to be recognized simply as that rather than anything bearing any resemblance to truthful knowledge.

I think that soon (next 5-10 years) your wishes for humankind will be true. Knowledge is spreading like wildfire and can only be ignored for so long. =P
In a universe full of infinite possibilities what can happen, will happen.
Our #1 goal? Kill off humanity this century.

There's a theory that we will kill ourselves off shortly after we become intelligent. We are in the process of developing weapon systems that have the capability to kill us off very quickly.
Strive for equality and understanding? In a way, work towards world peace, but unfortunately many religious people are very afraid of world peace, because that's all antichrist/end times stuff. Still, equality and a better understanding of ourselves and our world should be the number 1 priority.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'd like us to develop a little perspective and humility.
We're small, local and delicate. We participate in a web of life without understanding its complexity or fragility.
Getting off this rock and seeing the rest of the universe (mostly lots of nothing with a pinch of hydrogen,) would be something to do. But as biological systems, our physical limitations preclude this. Artificial intelligences built with our curiosity but on a more robust substrate could go exploring. We can't. And it's looking more and more likely that we aren't going to get the chance to develop strong AI before we damage vital ecological systems on earth to a point where they won't support technological society.
Oh well, it was a good ride while it lasted.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Probably the only way we'd be able to move from this planet to another hospitable one is reproducing on the way. Basically make it so our decedents will eventually reach New Earth, as the people who originally embarked will have died long before.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 11, 2014 at 12:09 am)Chad32 Wrote: Probably the only way we'd be able to move from this planet to another hospitable one is reproducing on the way. Basically make it so our decedents will eventually reach New Earth, as the people who originally embarked will have died long before.

Unless human cryogenics was perfected.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 11, 2014 at 12:00 am)Chad32 Wrote: Strive for equality and understanding? In a way, work towards world peace, but unfortunately many religious people are very afraid of world peace, because that's all antichrist/end times stuff. Still, equality and a better understanding of ourselves and our world should be the number 1 priority.

If all of humanity was equal would it really make things better or would it make things a lot worse? It might be worthwhile to strive for equality but it could be a disaster if it was ever reached.
(May 10, 2014 at 11:19 pm)Mr Brightside Wrote: As an atheist i get asked all the time what my goals are. What i think human kind should thrive for.. Mostly sarcastically by douche bag religious people with a chip on their shoulder but it's still a question none the less.

My answer to what i think human kind should thrive for? Well.. I think our number one goal as HUMANS (not republicans.. liberals.. democrats.. etc) should be to explore space. Looking at pictures and really seeing the scope of the universe and whats out there is astonishing. We look at these things as if it's impossible.. but i think if we had some sort of global program. That anyone could join and work for, all working towards the goal of cryogenics, understanding space and how to move through it, and also building these machines and such. I think it would give a ton of people a new found purpose in life.. They would be fed, housed and free to leave when they wanted. I know i for one would sign up.

Who knows what is out there? whole civilizations.. different forms of energy.. plus we would have a plan B when earth is used up. I guess in my mind i only have so long on this planet.. I want things to evolve so i can actually see these things! I hate waiting around for everyone else to get on board. I understand that some people are content with just living their everyday lives as same as the day before.. but im not. Im sorry i don't think a .00000002" thinner phone is important. Once upon a time we thought traveling faster than the speed of sound was impossible yet.. here we are. Imagine if we had everyone working on a global project.. all working towards the same goal.. I don't think anything would or could stand in our way.. except maybe an asteroid.. or a black hole.. but you know what i mean.

So i know i may sound crazy but thats truly my thoughts on things. My question for you guys is the same..

What should humankind's number 1 goal be?

I posted this in the Atheist thread because i want to know what fellow atheists think.. I already know what religious peoples answer would be therefore i don't care about their answer.

I think it should be to increase pleasure among humanity.

This would probably be achieved by higher technology, more education less over population, war and crime.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  as an atheist what is your goal in life? atheist04330 52 8296 July 14, 2014 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy