Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Choice....
A Choice....
OK....here's one for y'all.....

You now have a choice....you must choose one or the other of the options below.

1. You may know the exact date and time of your death, but not the nature or cause.

2. You may know the exact nature and cause of your death, but not the date and time.

Rules: you cannot alter the facts, circumstances, or change the results of your choice in any way. And it cannot be avoided.

The choices are unalterable and you may select only one.

OK....have at it.

What's your choice.....and why?
People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned.
RE: A Choice....
Tough call. Number 1 gives you a timeframe for your life, so you can live it up and you know how long you have. But that's always hanging over your head. Number 2 doesn't give you a deadline to dread, but if I'm going to die in some gruesome way that's definitely not something I'd want to know.

I think I'd go with number 2. I'd rather not know when it was coming.
(May 13, 2014 at 12:09 pm)RaisdCath Wrote: Rules: you cannot alter the facts, circumstances, or change the results of your choice in any way. And it cannot be avoided.

This game is stupid.

Simply knowing when/how you die would alter the facts and circumstances of your death.
I already have this information. I will die at the age of 103; shot in the back by a jealous teenage husband.
Number two.

Despite your rules, knowing the circumstances might allow me to avoid certain things. For example, if I know I die in a skydiving accident, I could avoid skydiving.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 13, 2014 at 12:22 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(May 13, 2014 at 12:09 pm)RaisdCath Wrote: Rules: you cannot alter the facts, circumstances, or change the results of your choice in any way. And it cannot be avoided.

This game is stupid.

Simply knowing when/how you die would alter the facts and circumstances of your death.

What if I told you, that you're gonna die due to having sex . You're not gonna stop having sex, are you ?

http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2013/0...een-he-and
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Number 1.

It allows for the best usage of available funds.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 13, 2014 at 12:09 pm)RaisdCath Wrote: OK....here's one for y'all.....

You now have a choice....you must choose one or the other of the options below.

1. You may know the exact date and time of your death, but not the nature or cause.

2. You may know the exact nature and cause of your death, but not the date and time.

Rules: you cannot alter the facts, circumstances, or change the results of your choice in any way. And it cannot be avoided.

The choices are unalterable and you may select only one.

OK....have at it.

What's your choice.....and why?

Both choices are identical in result to me. Maybe I'd choose #2 since it would seem to serve as better prevention of that specifically predicted death.

This hypothetical literally doesn't matter. I'd be able to alter the chances of dying in whatever way I was predicted to die, just by knowing the specific nature of how I die or when and how I die.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
Neither. I want to be surprised.

I'll tell you about the rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJyvVMgl-p0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  State your religious belief, and your OS of choice Vegamo 10 2343 January 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Made the wrong choice in life (about education) Gooders1002 3 1668 December 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Annik
  Browser of choice? Mandi 20 5470 June 8, 2009 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Operating Systems: Choice and design moleque 22 9865 June 5, 2009 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc