Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why There Are No Muslim Astronauts
Why There Are No Muslim Astronauts
Muslims pray five times a day. Each prayer requires and average of seven minutes to perform, for an approximate total of 35 minutes on the mat.

The International Space Station orbits the Earth about one every 90 minutes. 90/5 = 18. Thus, every 18 minutes, a Muslim astronaut would have to stop doing whatever it is people on the ISS do and do his (or her) seven minutes of obligatory groveling. Not very productive.

Furthermore, Muslims must face Mecca during these prayers. With the station moving at about five miles per second, I suspect that the Muslims supplicant would have to be installed in some sort of whirligig and be spun about like a pinwheel in a cyclone in order to face the proper direction. I'm not sure NASA could spare the payload.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Why There Are No Muslim Astronauts
I just figured it was because they were far too busy being angry, whiny little bitches to pursue anything else.

[Image: image.png]

[Image: instil_terror_8-12_c.jpg]
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(May 16, 2014 at 4:35 am)Aral Gamelon Wrote: I just figured it was because they were far too busy being angry, whiny little bitches to pursue anything else.

[Image: image.png]

[Image: instil_terror_8-12_c.jpg]

[Image: nohumour.jpg]
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
[Image: RsK8C0b.jpg]
IN SPACE THOUGH
30 seconds of googling produced this - List of Muslim Astronauts

Quote:Praying towards Mecca in space

Malaysia's space agency, Angkasa, convened a conference of 150 Islamic scientists and scholars in 2006 to address the question, among others, of how to pray towards Mecca in space. A document was produced in early 2007 called A Guideline of Performing Ibadah (worship) at the International Space Station (ISS) and was approved by Malaysia's National Fatwa Council.[4]
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
How quaint
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 16, 2014 at 5:27 am)Confused Ape Wrote: 30 seconds of googling produced this - List of Muslim Astronauts

Quote:Praying towards Mecca in space

Malaysia's space agency, Angkasa, convened a conference of 150 Islamic scientists and scholars in 2006 to address the question, among others, of how to pray towards Mecca in space. A document was produced in early 2007 called A Guideline of Performing Ibadah (worship) at the International Space Station (ISS) and was approved by Malaysia's National Fatwa Council.[4]
That would entail some interesting physics, I imagine.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Seems like the prophet has decreed some rather strict guidelines for the faithful to follow while relieving themselves. I suspect translating that to space would be another complication.
(May 16, 2014 at 9:30 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Seems like the prophet has decreed some rather strict guidelines for the faithful to follow while relieving themselves. I suspect translating that to space would be another complication.

It probably was complicated but the Muslim astronauts obviously managed to get round it.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(May 16, 2014 at 9:42 am)Confused Ape Wrote:
(May 16, 2014 at 9:30 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Seems like the prophet has decreed some rather strict guidelines for the faithful to follow while relieving themselves. I suspect translating that to space would be another complication.

It probably was complicated but the Muslim astronauts obviously managed to get round it.

Well, it's like any other religion: It's really important and sacred unless of course it's not convenient or possible. Undecided
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Warning:You are in danger. Non-Muslim in danger! AVMXF 67 5273 July 23, 2023 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  LGBTQ Rights in Countries with a Muslim Magority Leonardo17 16 2295 January 14, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  WHo is "The Pharaoh" in the Muslim Holy Book Leonardo17 14 1252 December 1, 2022 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  3 simple points to end the discussion with any muslim SaStrike 10 1343 September 20, 2022 at 12:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The only woman to win the Fields Medal was a Muslim Alexmahone 25 4746 August 28, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  There is no contradiction in the Qur'an! my answer as a muslim real muslim 37 3918 July 29, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Fall of Muslim science Fake Messiah 1 782 January 13, 2019 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Muslim men to not shake hands with females Rika82 9 1934 September 13, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If a muslim grows old, do they have to dye their hair? Ruckus123 5 934 April 16, 2018 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: yragnitup
  So if Muhammad had long hair why so many muslim male having short hair? Ruckus123 3 1194 April 12, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: chimp3