Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brain games a scam?
Brain games a scam?
Are these brain game companies like Lumosity just a scam? They promise that playing these computer games everyday will improve overall cognitive ability. Or are you just improving your ability to beat the games?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Brain games a scam?
They might slow the progression of Alzheimers, but so does doing the crossword puzzle in the paper, and I suspect that actually works better.
(May 16, 2014 at 12:55 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: They might slow the progression of Alzheimers, but so does doing the crossword puzzle in the paper, and I suspect that actually works better.

Some people prefer video games to doing crossword puzzles, though.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
I did read a study looking at those brain games on the Nintendo DS a couple of years back (brain training and the like).

It concluded that the claims of the manufacturer that they helped your 'brain age' were irresolvable or suspect.

I'll try and dig it out if I can remember where I saw it.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Sudoken will probably work just as well for the older crowd that remembers a time when we didn't have video games.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I rolls with the USA Today puzzles page. Takes me about 30 minutes to do both sides. That's enough brain games for me.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I know Luminosity says that their games "use the science of neuroplasticity," and all neuroplasticity means is the ability to learn. Its basically a scam.
(May 16, 2014 at 1:35 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: I did read a study looking at those brain games on the Nintendo DS a couple of years back (brain training and the like).

It concluded that the claims of the manufacturer that they helped your 'brain age' were irresolvable or suspect.

I'll try and dig it out if I can remember where I saw it.

I found this article dated October 30, 2013 on the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft website.

How video gaming can be beneficial for the brain

Quote:Video gaming causes increases in the brain regions responsible for spatial orientation, memory formation and strategic planning as well as fine motor skills. This has been shown in a new study conducted at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development and Charité University Medicine St. Hedwig-Krankenhaus.

In order to investigate how video games affect the brain, scientists in Berlin have asked adults to play the video game “Super Mario 64” over a period of two months for 30 minutes a day. A control group did not play video games. Brain volume was quantified using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). In comparison to the control group the video gaming group showed increases of grey matter, in which the cell bodies of the nerve cells of the brain are situated. These plasticity effects were observed in the right hippocampus, right prefrontal cortex and the cerebellum. These brain regions are involved in functions such as spatial navigation, memory formation, strategic planning and fine motor skills of the hands. Most interestingly, these changes were more pronounced the more desire the participants reported to play the video game.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
I play sudoku on my phone and have been looking for a good slide puzzle game for my phone but can't find them, as well as "kakuro" puzzles (math crosswords that are deceptively fun but I'm not positive that's what they're called...)

Don't care about luminosity games since these ones work for me and I like them and their free or cheap.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Sudoku I meant, apparently. it's what grandma likes, but she's the only person who's ever said the word to me.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Brain-washing" thesummerqueen 15 2846 October 24, 2011 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Handprint