Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Dino yet discovered
Biggest Dino yet discovered
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27441156

Quote:Based on its huge thigh bones, it was 40m (130ft) long and 20m (65ft) tall.

Weighing in at 77 tonnes, it was as heavy as 14 African elephants, and seven tonnes heavier than the previous record holder, Argentinosaurus.

Fuck I love this stuff.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Biggest Dino yet discovered
(May 17, 2014 at 2:08 am)max-greece Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27441156

Quote:Based on its huge thigh bones, it was 40m (130ft) long and 20m (65ft) tall.

Weighing in at 77 tonnes, it was as heavy as 14 African elephants, and seven tonnes heavier than the previous record holder, Argentinosaurus.

Fuck I love this stuff.

That's awesome.

You're not the only one who loves this sort of stuff.
Dying to live, living to die.
On my FB page now. I love this stuff, too!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I bet the devil put it there to test the creatards 'faith!'
(May 17, 2014 at 2:44 am)Minimalist Wrote: I bet the devil put it there to test the creatards 'faith!'

It's amazing that not one dino has been found with human remains or a saddle. Not even a Fred Flintstone car.
Dying to live, living to die.
I wonder what they are going to call it?

Fuckmeasaurus?
Youwouldn'twantmeonyourfootasaurus?
Bloodybigasaurus?
Argentinasaurus Rex?

Better options?
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
What do you call someone who makes too many dinosaur jokes? A dino-bore.
(May 17, 2014 at 3:19 am)Beccs Wrote:
(May 17, 2014 at 2:44 am)Minimalist Wrote: I bet the devil put it there to test the creatards 'faith!'

It's amazing that not one dino has been found with human remains or a saddle. Not even a Fred Flintstone car.

.. and that's why they want to teach the controversy. Where are those things? Inquiring minds are looking for evidence that what they choose to believe is true. Undecided
You clearly would ride a titanosaur bareback, Beccs. They didn't have to technology for saddlework back then. Duh.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
This is hype.

There are a great deal of uncertainty to estimations of body weight of dinosaurs based on skeletons. Based on what we do know, dinosaurs were anatomically and bio mechanically significantly different from any living animal, making extrapolations from elephant somewhat questionable. There are substantial parts as yet we don't know. For example we are not even entirely clear on just how sauropods breath, and consequently how big were their lungs and how barrel Chested they were in life.

We also make the inference that being herbivore, sauropod dinosaurs would be like cows or bisons, and possess a enormous gut and possibly multiple stomachs to ferment indigestible vegetation. I am not sure if there really is incontrovertible evidence of that.

So we can't say for certain this dinosaur weighted 77 tons. We also can't say for certain that some other dinosaurs which we think weighted 70 tons didn't in fact weigh 100.

There were also other fragmentary fossil remains which hinted at physically larger dinosaurs then these.

The upshot is what is the largest dinosaur we know is not a well established, or even in principle an easily establisheble thing. This article is pure hype in its claim that this is the largest. Many other remains also has nearly as strong, or perhaps just as strong, claims to the same title.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 641 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Statuesque dinosaur fossil discovered Thumpalumpacus 44 8007 May 13, 2017 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Yet another NDE post (with sources this time) RozKek 13 1315 July 19, 2016 at 7:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  Jack Horner's Dino Chicken? Minimalist 8 1628 June 15, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Stupid Virus Discovered in People popeyespappy 0 993 November 11, 2014 at 11:09 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Origins of sex discovered: Side-by-side copulation Dolorian 4 1585 October 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  New thing discovered that does not fit into tree of life downbeatplumb 8 2366 September 5, 2014 at 11:13 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Immense Cambrian fossil bed discovered "rivals the famous Burgess Shale" Jackalope 12 2982 February 12, 2014 at 10:59 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Human/Neanerthal hybrid discovered Foxaèr 10 4751 April 7, 2013 at 9:23 am
Last Post: frz
  Map proves Portuguese discovered Australia: new book pocaracas 15 5158 February 20, 2013 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding