Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statuesque dinosaur fossil discovered
Statuesque dinosaur fossil discovered
Quote:Before being assembled into something recognizable at a museum, most dinosaur fossils look to the casual observer like nothing more than common rocks. No one, however, would confuse the over 110 million-year-old nodosaur fossil for a stone.

The fossil, being unveiled today in Canada’s Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, is so well preserved it looks like a statue.

Even more surprising might be its accidental discovery, as unveiled in the June issue of National Geographic magazine.

On March 21, 2011, Shawn Funk was digging in Alberta’s Millennium Mine with a mechanical backhoe, when he hit “something much harder than the surrounding rock.” A closer look revealed something that looked like no rock Funk had ever seen, just “row after row of sandy brown disks, each ringed in gunmetal gray stone.”

[Image: NGM_0617_MM8543_Nodosaur_01-1024x683.jpg&w=1484]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn...e6e91b099f

Just amazing. What really surprises me is how it hardly differs from the artist's impressions I'd see in books as a kid.

RE: Statuesque dinosaur fossil discovered
(May 12, 2017 at 11:38 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
Quote:Before being assembled into something recognizable at a museum, most dinosaur fossils look to the casual observer like nothing more than common rocks. No one, however, would confuse the over 110 million-year-old nodosaur fossil for a stone.

The fossil, being unveiled today in Canada’s Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, is so well preserved it looks like a statue.

Even more surprising might be its accidental discovery, as unveiled in the June issue of National Geographic magazine.

On March 21, 2011, Shawn Funk was digging in Alberta’s Millennium Mine with a mechanical backhoe, when he hit “something much harder than the surrounding rock.” A closer look revealed something that looked like no rock Funk had ever seen, just “row after row of sandy brown disks, each ringed in gunmetal gray stone.”

[Image: NGM_0617_MM8543_Nodosaur_01-1024x683.jpg&w=1484]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn...e6e91b099f

Just amazing. What really surprises me is how it hardly differs from the artist's impressions I'd see in books as a kid.
Tells you how good the reproductionists are, and how well we know the subjects after less at 200 years study.
Inb4 creationist post dismissing the discovery as a hoax or mistake or shit like that.
(May 12, 2017 at 12:41 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Inb4 creationist post dismissing the discovery as a hoax or mistake or shit like that.

Maybe they'll find it's standing on a plinth with an inscription.

GENERAL ITHSGH EGOINGT
199,000,00-198,001,385 BC.
"HE FOUGHT THE T.REX!"
You know what theists are thinking, though.

Rather than actually finding the fossil in the rock, the scientists are shaping fossils from the rock.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Ohh, godzilla has been found? cool, now to see if we can wake it up
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 12, 2017 at 1:09 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Ohh, godzilla has been found? cool, now to see if we can wake it up

Venti caramel machiatto will do the trick, thanks.
Another ass-fucking for Adam and Eve.
Actually the thing they will more likely attack is "why is it in suck good condition " or some shit . it will go back to the tired "how did it last for millions of years canard" they did this shit with the Lazarus bacteria . They did this with organics in fossils . They will continue to do it with every discovery we make.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Quote:"how did it last for millions of years canard"

It was encased in rock..... like their fucking heads.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fossil worm shows us our evolutionary beginnings zebo-the-fat 0 361 March 24, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 639 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Fossil provides new understanding of bird evolution Foxaèr 10 938 June 30, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: oldpollock
  Dinosaur tail found preserved in amber! Simon Moon 84 14789 December 19, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Reverse Engineering a Dinosaur? Minimalist 10 2949 May 15, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Stupid Virus Discovered in People popeyespappy 0 992 November 11, 2014 at 11:09 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Origins of sex discovered: Side-by-side copulation Dolorian 4 1582 October 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  New thing discovered that does not fit into tree of life downbeatplumb 8 2365 September 5, 2014 at 11:13 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biggest Dino yet discovered max-greece 15 2571 May 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  Immense Cambrian fossil bed discovered "rivals the famous Burgess Shale" Jackalope 12 2981 February 12, 2014 at 10:59 am
Last Post: houseofcantor