Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stalingrad :Was the order given not to retreat correct?
Stalingrad :Was the order given not to retreat correct?
Was Obergruppenfuhrer [general] F. Von Paulus entirely to blame for the debacle at Stalingrad in the winter of 42?
Was the order not to retreat the correct one?

I think it was, but what do you think?
RE: Stalingrad. Was the order given ,not to retreat correct?
Manstein wanted Paulus to break out to join his relief army's attack. Hitler said no. Paulus said no.

Given the result it would seem that Manstein had a better grasp of the situation.
RE: Stalingrad. Was the order given ,not to retreat correct?
(May 24, 2014 at 5:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Manstein wanted Paulus to break out to join his relief army's attack. Hitler said no. Paulus said no.

Given the result it would seem that Manstein had a better grasp of the situation.

Manstein had a better grasp of the situation in headquarters.

retreat at best ,would have turned into a total rout which would have taken the entire eastern front with it.

that's why the order to stand in place was given .it's hard to retreat and fight at the same time.
RE: Stalingrad :Was the order given not to retreat correct?
Yeah....Custer found that out.

With roughly the same results on a percentage basis.
(May 24, 2014 at 6:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah....Custer found that out.

With roughly the same results on a percentage basis.

custer had only a tribe of indians on his hands. not the entire 3rd. Reich!
Ended up with a shitload of arrows sticking out of him.

At least v. Paulus surrendered.
(May 24, 2014 at 6:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Ended up with a shitload of arrows sticking out of him.

At least v. Paulus surrendered.

an order is an order!
Bear in mind too that Hitlers decision not to retreat was influenced by Goerings empty boast that the Sixth Army could be supplied by the Luftwaffe.

An effort which led to the end of the Transportverbande as an effective force by the way.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Hitler was one of those politicos who think retreat is somehow shameful.

When the 6th was surrounded by more pissed-off Russians (people who are USED to Russian winters) than you can shake a borscht-covered stick at, Hitler should have ordered a retreat. His failure to do so cost the German Army time, men and resources it could ill afford.

Bad for Germany, good for everyone else.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'd say it worked out swimmingly for the Allies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Lincoln order the kidnapping of a US Senator? Jehanne 2 449 June 2, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Jehanne