Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science was once a child of the church.
And the church was its mother. A fact many Atheist seem to be unaware of. Or would soon forget. You would be surprised to see how many scientist were believers in God that actually founded some serious science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chr...in_science

I am not a religious man or a Christian, but I am often amused at how some Atheist seem to use science as a type of weapon against religion, not knowing that science was once a bedfellow with religion.
RE: Science was once a child of the church.
And then "science" grew up and determined that "mom" was full of shit.

It happens.
So what? If you believe that the earth is round, you may be surprised to know that scientists used to believe it was flat. I am amused by 'round earth claimers' who use science like a weapon against flat earthers, clearly not knowing that science was once the bedfellow of this belief as well.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
The Greeks knew it was round with no help from the fucking church.
(June 5, 2014 at 9:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And then "science" grew up and determined that "mom" was full of shit.

It happens.

I like you're use of " Mom", because the church was the parent of much of science. Science just got tired of " Church regulated science", and " Grew up", as you said, and rebelled; which we know in history as " The Scientific Revolution." Science, and I think Atheism as well, were once children of the church, or religion; children who have left their parents, and now simply hate them or would like to forget them.

But history is a wall that blocks forgetting.
What you're misunderstanding about good science is that is completely 100% impartial. Whether the scientists that came up with the theories or did the research were theists or atheists has no bearing on whether or not it was good science. Therefore there is no "theistic" or atheistic" science, so no-one has a justified claim to own science. It's just science. And science is only seen as a "weapon" against silly superstitious claims made by these fictitious books, such gems as; "the earth is flat" or "geocentrism".
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(June 5, 2014 at 9:45 pm)mickiel Wrote: And the church was its mother. A fact many Atheist seem to be unaware of. Or would soon forget. You would be surprised to see how many scientist were believers in God that actually founded some serious science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chr...in_science

I am not a religious man or a Christian, but I am often amused at how some Atheist seem to use science as a type of weapon against religion, not knowing that science was once a bedfellow with religion.

How does science's origins in religion make it any less a tool for disproving it?
(June 5, 2014 at 9:52 pm)Losty Wrote: So what? If you believe that the earth is round, you may be surprised to know that scientists used to believe it was flat. I am amused by 'round earth claimers' who use science like a weapon against flat earthers, clearly not knowing that science was once the bedfellow of this belief as well.

Science now has other bedfellows, and it has a " Fan base", which I think Atheism is part of, latching themselves to it as if they are partners. They root for science and treat it like religions treat their gods. A different type of worship.

But science was once the child of the church, its main mission used to be " A search for the divine."

Napoleon Wrote:How does science's origins in religion make it any less a tool for disproving it?

Excuse me, can you prove to me that one of the missions of science is to disprove the church? What, you have a certified list of scientific by laws?

(June 5, 2014 at 9:58 pm)Sejanus Wrote: What you're misunderstanding about good science is that is completely 100% impartial. Whether the scientists that came up with the theories or did the research were theists or atheists has no bearing on whether or not it was good science. Therefore there is no "theistic" or atheistic" science, so no-one has a justified claim to own science. It's just science. And science is only seen as a "weapon" against silly superstitious claims made by these fictitious books, such gems as; "the earth is flat" or "geocentrism".

I agree with this.
(June 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm)mickiel Wrote: Science now has other bedfellows, and it has a " Fan base", which I think Atheism is part of, latching themselves to it as if they are partners. They root for science and treat it like religions treat their gods. A different type of worship.

Do you even realise how ironic you are being?

So it's okay for the religious to have a science fan club, but nobody else?

Quote:But science was once the child of the church, its main mission used to be " A search for the divine."

So the religious used to root for science. Right? That's what you're saying. Until it stopped being in their interest to do so.

What I want to know, is why you think this gives religion any kind of validity, or makes any difference whatsoever in scientific discoveries? What do you want? Credit for religion giving birth to science (debatable)? Fine. You should also take credit for all the times religion has stifled scientific progression as well then.
(June 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm)mickiel Wrote: Excuse me, can you prove to me that one of the missions of science is to disprove the church? What, you have a certified list of scientific by laws?

Science doesn't have a fucking mission. It doesn't make it any less a tool for disproving bullshit claims made by the religious.
(June 5, 2014 at 9:58 pm)mickiel Wrote:
(June 5, 2014 at 9:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And then "science" grew up and determined that "mom" was full of shit.

It happens.

I like you're use of " Mom", because the church was the parent of much of science. Science just got tired of " Church regulated science", and " Grew up", as you said, and rebelled; which we know in history as " The Scientific Revolution." Science, and I think Atheism as well, were once children of the church, or religion; children who have left their parents, and now simply hate them or would like to forget them.

But history is a wall that blocks forgetting.

Atheism actually predates the church by thousands of years, and probably since the dawn of humanity.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism

The Scientific Revolution was more a spread of knowledge than a rebellion, allowing for scientific inquiry to advance into areas previously suppressed by the church.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Once, Twice, 20 Times a solar system. Brian37 1 319 November 28, 2020 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  NASA denies mars child slave colony Zen Badger 22 5996 July 2, 2017 at 12:12 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7746 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4274 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe