Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tonight I ran in my very first 5k.

By which I mean I walked and ran. Because pain.

But I still did it. And I kinda want to do it again, in several months.

That is all.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: 5k
Ah youth .. and you'll probably wake up tomorrow and walk it off. Good on you!
ha. hahahahahah. ha. ha.

1) Asthmatic: I'm coughing up phlegm right now after two shots of an inhaler. You don't "walk off" a run, ever.

2) I'm 29, not 19, and gardening ruined my knees. I won't be walking much, if at all, tomorrow, and not because 29 is "old" but because relative youth is no guarantee of all the parts working properly.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Congrats on finishing your race, TSQ! I remember my first 5k. It was a lot worse in my head. Addicting, that feeling of accomplishment!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 7, 2014 at 10:33 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: ha. hahahahahah. ha. ha.

1) Asthmatic: I'm coughing up phlegm right now after two shots of an inhaler. You don't "walk off" a run, ever.

2) I'm 29, not 19, and gardening ruined my knees. I won't be walking much, if at all, tomorrow, and not because 29 is "old" but because relative youth is no guarantee of all the parts working properly.

Sorry to hear that. I was always wiry, flexible and healed fast for the first 40 years or so. I could always start up running again after months off without a hitch. Dance or hike all night no problem.

Now I can't count on gardening or a little carpentry two days in a row. Arthritic useless thumb and wrist become weak as well as sore. But I can still walk a long way. No more running, thank you. Thank gawd for my healthy knees. (But fuck Him for the bunions.)
(June 7, 2014 at 10:25 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Tonight I ran in my very first 5k.

By which I mean I walked and ran. Because pain.

But I still did it. And I kinda want to do it again, in several months.

That is all.

I did a 5k race last Sunday, my first ever. I came 71st out of 172 runners.
25:44 was my time so see if you can beat that.
Not really relevant to your post but I'm mentioning it as many places as I can.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I used to do 5K's (and track and field [100/200/400m]) as a kid. I was very casual about it, but I loved it. Road races in particular, even though I would never come close to winning my category, the ambience was addicting.

Time for you to recover, which is just as important as racing. Good as new soon. Pics next time, if you do it again!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(June 7, 2014 at 10:33 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: 2) I'm 29, not 19, and gardening ruined my knees. I won't be walking much, if at all, tomorrow, and not because 29 is "old" but because relative youth is no guarantee of all the parts working properly.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I feel it every time I run unless I'm super well trained and I take a 20 minute-long ice bath immediately upon completion of the run.

Also, knees are starting to both me (probably need to consult my PT friend) and I've had low back problems since I was 15. Youth is no guarantee of anything, I hear ya!
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(June 8, 2014 at 8:24 am)c172 Wrote: Time for you to recover, which is just as important as racing. Good as new soon. Pics next time, if you do it again!

An obvious ploy to get a picture of the queen flushed and sweaty.

Hope it works.
Congrats. I always admired people who can run long distances. Can't do it myself, i'm more of a sprinter type Tongue so kudos for You Smile