Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Morning! (...well, it's morning here anyway)
Good Morning! (...well, it's morning here anyway)
Hello all,

My name is Lew (hence the hilarious play-on-words used in my username), and I have been a long time reader of these forums, but never thought to register for some reason...

Anyway, I've just signed up and I look forward to joining in the debate.
I am far from being as intelligent as some of the posters on here, but I will always give my honest opinion and will try to add to the discussion!

As far as my 'story' goes, it's nothing exciting I'm afraid.
I was raised in a fairly non-religous family.
My Dad doesn't really care about it all. I'm almost certain that he doesn't believe from the few chats we've had about it. I don't think he wastes much of his time thinking/talking about religion, and I don't really blame him for that (I'd also put my brother in the exact same boat as my dad).
After all, I wouldn't expect him to spend hours on end thinking about the possibility of leprechauns existing.

My Mum seems to be one of those 'on-the-fence' believers. Doesn't go to church, doesn't seem religious in day-to-day life, but I think she just likes the idea of there being 'something after death' and hopes that it's true.
She certainly isn't some religious fanatic who forced her views on her children, or anyone else.
I wouldn't even describe them as views. She's no devout Christian, it's almost definitely just 'hoping for something better when we die'.

They never forced me to believe in anything, and I appreciate that. I've been allowed to think for myself from day one. Yes they sent me to religious schools (read below), but that was to do with the schools' performance levels (results success history) and was nothing to do with the religion aspect.
I did come out with pretty good results too, so it worked out well.

I went to a Church of England primary AND high school where I took part in weekly indoctrination (sorry, 'Religous Education') lessons. I also went to a Sunday School during my primary school days which basically just tried to peddle the myth a bit more.

However, I never really bought in to it all.
As I grew older, I began to question everything and it didn't take me long to completely write off the notion/idea of there being a 'god' (be it the Christian god, or any other).

I have the internet to thank for pretty much everything. I used to (and still do) spend HOURS just reading. Not just about religion, but everything.
As my knowledge of the world around me grew, the idea of a god just became more and more ridiculous.
I then discovered the likes of Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris, and that's when my fascination with the whole 'Religion v Atheism' debate started.
I do love watching/reading a big old debate on this issue, and still find it amazing how most believers can be so stubborn and stuck in their ways, even when they're being hit by waves & waves of facts/evidence that basically debunk all the myths that they take as 'fact'.
I've realised that it's a near-impossible task to try and make a theist see sense, but ah well... I'll join in anyway!

Oh, I should just point out that my family, and everyone else I know, are aware of the fact that I'm an 'atheist' (if you want to call it that).
I'm very open about the fact that I don't believe in ANY of the thousands of gods that have been created by mankind, and I'm happy to discuss it with anyone.

Anyway, I think you all have an idea of my back-story there.
Don't wanna ramble on for too long!

I look forward to getting stuck in to some debates very soon Big Grin

Cheers,
Lew
RE: Good Morning! (...well, it's morning here anyway)
Morning, Lew.

There's a lot of Brits on here so you're in good company (including myself). Your story echoes mine somewhat, non-religious parents, CoFE primary school, etc etc.

Only difference is was the headteacher of my primary school was an obvious religious nut case douche, even to a 6 year old (when I first encountered him) which automatically associated religion (at least fundamentalist religion) with idiocy in my mind.

Anyway, hope you stick around Smile
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Hello. Hope you enjoy the forum.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Welcome aboard!
Another Brit! Welcome

As you've probably seen, this site represents a wide set of international perspectives so we're not overrun by the highly polar American situation. It makes for more interesting discussion.

p.s. most of us aren't so smart, just reasonable. That's often enough.
Sum ergo sum
Hello, Lew.
Welcome Lew, fellow Brit here, hope you enjoy yourself, some very clever dudes here.
Greetings from the , north, left coast of the US and A!
Hi nice to meet you! Have some welcome cookies!
[Image: 9httx.jpg]via Imgflip Meme Maker
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Welcome
And Hi from Western Australia
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Morning! PaperSun 4 137 March 28, 2024 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Well, it's been about four years. What's up all? Mudhammam 12 1209 July 15, 2021 at 10:36 am
Last Post: tackattack
  well im back dyresand 12 1209 April 25, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Deleted Facebook account for good. I prefer these types of forum anyway. James_Smith 10 897 November 14, 2019 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: redpill
  Hello & Good Morning unsapien 21 2956 May 27, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Well hello Abaddon_ire 23 3229 October 6, 2017 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3463 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Well, Hai Ari Sheffield 14 2080 March 21, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  well, hello Mermaid 30 4520 October 10, 2015 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I don't know what I am but hi anyway taxis 20 2404 August 21, 2015 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Iroscato