Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fall of post invasion Iraq
The fall of post invasion Iraq
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27809051

Looks like Iraq is falling apart. Kurds taking cities in the north, Al Qaeda affiliates have pretty much occupied most of Iraq's major cities and are now circling Baghdad.

Millions are fleeing their homes into neighbouring cities or the deserts.

I bet a lot of them are kind of wishing Saddam was still in power. Can anything be done? Should the West intervene, or leave well alone? ISIS, the AQ affiliate, has also gained a lot of territory across the border in Syria and is seeking to spread into other states throughout the middle east. They appear to emerging as a major threat to security in the region (well, one of many).
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: The fall of post invasion Iraq
This won't resolve itself quickly or peacefully. Also, the religion of peace is incapable of stopping the violence.

In the meantime, my recommendation would be to arm and materially support the Kurds.
Stupid of them to announce when they planned to pull out, they must have known the extremists would just sit tight and then roll in once they left.
What's this? The results of the Bush Administration's war for oil are turning out to be something that will bite us in the ass? Surely America wouldn't have fucked things up for another country in ways that will bite us in the ass at a later date

oh

hi history
Well, the military contractors really made out well.

Clusterfuck accomplished.

I can't believe Iraq is worse off than the Saddam Era.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Saddam did know how to maintain order. And having his armies slaughter hundreds of thousands of Iranians in their 'human wave' attacks back in the 80s did gladden my heart.

His nuclear facility the Israelis blasted back then was worrisome, however . . .

Damn this complicated reality!!
(June 12, 2014 at 12:09 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: I can't believe Iraq is worse off than the Saddam Era.

Believe it.

And Syria was much better off, and we were much better off, when either Assads had full control.

We almost, and may yet, repeat the crimes we committed in Iraq in Syria.

High as American national debt is, our borrowing capacity remains amply sufficient for purchasing total geopolitical catastrophy for ourselves.
And at the root of it all: Two groups of muslims, both calling the other infidel.

The sad irony, as we all know, is that neither side has it right.

There's nothing quite like watching two people killing each other over an argument that neither one is right in.
I have seen videos of ISIS people crucifying people.

The proclaim "The person deserve it, Just like Jesus"

MORONS!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(June 12, 2014 at 5:08 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27809051

Looks like Iraq is falling apart. Kurds taking cities in the north, Al Qaeda affiliates have pretty much occupied most of Iraq's major cities and are now circling Baghdad.

Millions are fleeing their homes into neighbouring cities or the deserts.

I bet a lot of them are kind of wishing Saddam was still in power. Can anything be done? Should the West intervene, or leave well alone? ISIS, the AQ affiliate, has also gained a lot of territory across the border in Syria and is seeking to spread into other states throughout the middle east. They appear to emerging as a major threat to security in the region (well, one of many).

Quote:I bet a lot of them are kind of wishing Saddam was still in power.
I bet a lot of them don't. Saddam's regime brutalized, raped, tortured, and murdered thousands of Kurds, Shiites, political opponents, and everyone he was suspicious of. Saddam was a tyrant. I bet a lot of Iraqis would rather give their freedoms and their democratic government a chance to succeed....this was all predictable when Barack pulled out all American troops and left nothing by way of support. Barack's inexperience in foreign policy and his naive world view will create another terrorist state in Iraq and the Taliban will return to Afghanistan. The best thing Barack can do is resign from the presidency. He's the worse damn president since Jimmy Carter.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fall BACK Day, Merkins! Gawdzilla Sama 4 524 November 7, 2023 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Nanny
  "The 1 Billion Dollar Fraud" this fall on ABC Brian37 0 246 May 7, 2019 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Turd Doesn't Fall Far From The Asshole Minimalist 10 1768 March 23, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  U.S Congress Approves Invasion of ISPs Customer Privacy Secular Elf 2 703 March 29, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Iraq - massive bombing Regina 14 3884 July 3, 2016 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: dyresand