Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do vampire/Cthulu/etc. cults count as religious cults?
Do vampire/Cthulu/etc. cults count as religious cults?
It's a serious question sort of. Granted a lot of people who have interest in vampire lore or Cthulu mythos aren't serious, but there are some people who seriously believe in that stuff. Hell, I've had New Agers try to sell me blank Necronomicons telling me that because people believe in it they have actual power (the belief in the power preceding the power apparently).

Like this guy. Not only does he believe that he is a real vampire but he also wrote his own Necronomicon.

But also you find articles like these talking about people who really believe in this stuff.

I bring this up as a question of whether it's a religious cult because H.P. Lovecraft wouldn't be the first science fiction author to make people believe his fictions are real (see Scientology), and though these cults aren't quite as prominent as Hubbard's has become, one wonders if they qualify for a place somewhere along the continuum of religious-ness.

So, just because their systems of belief require faith and bad logic, and because these beliefs are pervasive in a way, does that make them qualify as a religious cult in a way?
RE: Do vampire/Cthulu/etc. cults count as religious cults?
Most cults are religious in nature.

Some cults "mature" to be religions by having most of their aberrancies stripped or tamped down to ease the acceptance by a large body of people.
(January 7, 2010 at 12:02 am)Synackaon Wrote: Most cults are religious in nature.

I would reverse that. Religions are cults. Only their size give them special privileges over other cults.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(January 7, 2010 at 12:04 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(January 7, 2010 at 12:02 am)Synackaon Wrote: Most cults are religious in nature.

I would reverse that. Religions are cults. Only their size give them special privileges over other cults.

What about the cult of Mac? Big Grin
Especially the Cult of Mac.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
*bows*

"Praise be Steve Jobs"

(What...I'm a mac user...)
Fuck Mac
Fuck the company or fuck an individual Mac computer? Fuck a Mac? Cos I recommend you don't do that.... much friction.

EvF
hard drive?

active RAM?

Computer sex, why not...

I guess a religious cult is a cult that is a recognized religion (but the real question is recognized by whom?). Then there could be cults that look like religion and religions that look like cults.

What about Scientology™?

Cult or religion? Or both?
(January 7, 2010 at 7:40 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Fuck the company or fuck an individual Mac computer? Fuck a Mac? Cos I recommend you don't do that.... much friction.

EvF

Bahaha, Transformers 2. Smile

But I totally agree with leo-rcc and Eilonnwy, in any case. Another notable difference is the fact that religions have very strong backing, particularly financially, or politically. Those churches are HUGE.
~We, the atheist, in creating a purpose for ourselves where there was none, are greater than God himself.~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Innerstanding" and the language of cults. Sal 9 1525 July 18, 2020 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: no one